• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

JBL L100T vs. JBL TL260 ?

ofery

Active Member
Hello all,

I have JBL L100T connected to Mcintosh MC225 (tube power - 25wx2).
The sound is great, but I'm looking to improve it ...
I consider to replace the L100T with TL260 (Limited Edition, JBL 60th Anniversary).

Which speaker is better & has a better sound ?
Which speaker is a better match for Mcintosh MC225 ?
Money is not an issue, lets assume they both cost the same.

Please advise.

Regards /Ofer
 
Last edited:
Register to hide this ad
TL260 is an upscale European model, compared to the older L100T.
They are different than the older 250TI models they look similar to.

http://eu.jbl.com/tl_files/catalog/...Specification Sheet - TL 260 (English EU).pdf

attachment.php
 
The TL260 looks like Studio series drivers in a L250 styled cabinet. I've never heard them, and I don't believe they were even sold in the states. If they are in fact Studio series drives, I'm not so sure I'd think they would out perform the L100t, but that's just a guess on my part.

If they were L250's or 250Ti's, I think the answer would be a no brainer, but not many of us have probably heard the TL260.
 
The TL260 looks like Studio series drivers in a L250 styled cabinet.

Agreed.

Example of Studio Series:
jbl-studio-l-speakers-front-main.jpg


These were NOT highly regarded. I really don't see how the same drivers in a different cabinet would change that.

On the flip side, the L100T is a pretty amazing speaker. The 2214H woofer in the L100T is rated at 200w, compared to the 100w woofers in my other JBLs. It can be a bass monster. Feed it enough power, and it will never let you down :yes:
 
Last edited:
Agreed.



On the flip side, the L100T is a pretty amazing speaker. The 2214H woofer in the L100T is rated at 200w, compared to the 100w woofers in my other JBLs. It can be a bass monster. Feed it enough power, and it will never let you down :yes:

A friend of mine who can take the pain cranked my Echowars modded 9090db which clips at 161, and my JBL L100t (with t3 crossover mod)speakers were just HAMMERING. I think we hit around 50-60 watts....??

Anyway, it was deafening, clean, and a little painful. :yes:
 
It would have been less obvious they were Studio drivers if they were actually all black instead of that gaudy silver. From what I understand, these weren't cheap, so they should have painted the drivers black at least.

I think the woofers and mids do at least use cast baskets though which is a plus.
 
I'm probably in the minority but I never warmed to the L100T/T3. I had friends and room mates with both in the 80's/90's and even though the bass is extremely capable, I preferred the mids and highs of my 940's.

I wouldn't toss those 260's under the bus, especially one driven by the L100T3. My money is on the newer speaker...

jblnut
 
So if I can summarize your recommendations: Keep the L100T & do not replace them with TL260, the L100T sounds better.
The LT260 is a "cheap" studio speaker.

Regards /Ofer
 
There have been a couple discussions on Ak about fine-tuning the sound of the L100T speakers.
The TL260s are European models so I have not heard them stateside ...

I have owned 2 pairs of L100Ts over the years and swapped the crossovers in both my pairs for the newer
L100T3-style crossover someone here built for me. That took the shrillness out of the high frequency ...
but to be honest, I am a bit older, and my ears may not hear what your ears hear ...

I believe I saw another thread where someone swapped out the 035TI/035TIA tweeters for a better JBL model tweeter -
not sure if they installed the 044 tweeters or ...? perhaps someone can chime in on those threads ...
 
So if I can summarize your recommendations: Keep the L100T & do not replace them with TL260, the L100T sounds better.
The LT260 is a "cheap" studio speaker.

Regards /Ofer

I cannot really say that. I've never heard the TL260, but the drivers definitely appear to be from the Studio line, and used in a L250 looking cabinet. The L250/250Ti, are legends, so it seems a bit cheesy to me for JBL to use some average consumer JBL drivers in a cabinet that looks like the legends.

Maybe they sound really good, I don't know. I do have a pair of L80t's that I like pretty well.
 
I just put myL100T back into rotation last night and thought they sounded very nice. I thought them to be dull sounding when last used with a differ2nt amp. My newly restor2d 1980 makes them sound very detailed. I was going to sell these but now im on the fence about that. Should the Altec 14 go instead? Like I said, on the fence.
 
I just put myL100T back into rotation last night and thought they sounded very nice. I thought them to be dull sounding when last used with a differ2nt amp. My newly restor2d 1980 makes them sound very detailed. I was going to sell these but now im on the fence about that. Should the Altec 14 go instead? Like I said, on the fence.

Hmmm. JBL L100Ts or Altec Model 14s ... tough call, there. :D Since I'm more into horns and two-ways these days, I think I'd go with the Altecs, although the L100Ts might sound better for all I know.
 
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom