• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

JBL L112 - worth taking a chance?

Just so you know, have a point of reference, this is on C/L in the Los Angeles area. No affiliation.

00X0X_9NvdJezB0Ag_0th0t2_1200x900.jpg
00z0z_fxQd0CqyOHg_0sW0t2_1200x900.jpg


https://losangeles.craigslist.org/wst/msg/d/torrance-jbl-speaker/7217863140.html
 
I saw a pair selling for $130 will I buy it?
 

Attachments

  • Screenshot_20201026-135640.png
    Screenshot_20201026-135640.png
    512.1 KB · Views: 59
Yeah terrible job, probably I recone it and other midrange cone damaged, I think I'll buy it, I need something to get busy
 
OK, here are some real life numbers. I bought a pair of L 100 speakers for $60. They were in average to nice condition, except one woofer was a cheap replacement. I bought the correct woofer from eBay for $100. Swapped out the woofer, did a real quick steel wool and oil to the cabinets. I listed them on craigslist. They were in average cosmetic condition, not beat up, but not pristine. I sold them to a flipper for $850.

I had another pair of L112 Speakers, that I got in a trade when I bought a Sansui receiver. I didn’t want the speakers, so I listed them on craigslist as well. The cabinets were OK until you looked very closely. I replaced the Grill cloth. One of the woofers was white and one was gray, which was a JBL replacement. I had people beating down my door to buy those speakers. I think I got $1000.

I have a pair of pristine L112 Speakers, that I wouldn’t take $2500 for. To me, they are that good.
 
I sold a pair of fairly beat L100As this summer for $800, and a pristine set last winter for $3,450. Condition condition condition.

They're collectible, so classic JBL values vary wildly based on condition, original parts, completeness, and even serial-numbers (sequential or at least very close).

If your 112s are in pristine condition it is very much worth getting all of the correct parts to restore them properly. If not, still great to listen to, but condition will keep their value down.
 
I paid quite a bit more than $100, and had to install new foam, refresh the finish and replace the cloth. Still feel it was a very good deal. I use them in a secondary system, but they get quite a bit of play.

View attachment 2011122

Where did you get those stands?

OP, I have a pair of JBL 112s and additionally have an entire set of drivers (2 x , tweeters, mids and woofers) should I need:)
 
Last edited:
I was making a quick trip to the grocery store, and drove by a yard sale. The stands were sitting out on the driveway. Stopped, paid the $15 he was asking, and picked them up - all in less than 5 minutes. No manufacturer name on them...I'd love to find another pair. Very sturdy, very well built. Already drilled for spikes.
 
Strong disagreement here that $750 would be optimistic. $750-1000+ would seem to be pretty much the current norm. Guess we'll find out when/if OP sells them.

EDIT Agree re 128H-1 woofers...as I posted above.
Wake up…

I saw a pair in the used tool/ musician/ audio store today. I didn’t know what they were at first. I didn’t see a logo anywhere. I asked and he removed the grill. They had the 128 s in them ( white) and were refoamed by Miller Sound nearby , whom I can definitely vouch for. They had 899.00 on them . And were offered to me for 800.00 . They looked nice and I have heard them once before and was impressed. But I can’t justify that amount when I have restored original OLAs here , KLH 6 s and some others. Still….
 
An update to a thread I started long ago. The restoration of my L112's was worth every dollar spent and time invested in bringing these great speakers back to life. I have acquired many very good speakers and the L112's continue to remain firmly in place in my main listening room. I like to rotate them with Klipsch Forte's and Yamaha NS1000M's - tough choice as to the best. The L112's remain my favorite based on overall balance.

My firm recommendation is if you every run into a set of these in decent condition for under $750 make the plunge. Even if you change your mind you will make money in the end.
 
An update to a thread I started long ago.
My firm recommendation is if you every run into a set of these in decent condition for under $750 make the plunge. Even if you change your mind you will make money in the end.
I’d get stuck with them at that price.
The ones I saw were pretty nice. But 800.00 ?
Are they really hundreds of dollars more better sounding ? Since Miller Sound refoamed them, I assume the drivers are in top shape. This is just frustrating, I’d love to try a pair here, but I’m so used to finding stuff cheap , then deciding if I want to pour money into it. Some yes, others no.

As an example, I found a pair of Pioneer CS99a’s at an estate sale . For 5.00. I’ve always wandered what the fuss was about, since I have some 77s and a pair of 99s . Are they pretty good ? Yes, I think so. But would I spend a thousand for them which is what everyone seems to be asking? Never.
Not even 500. But yes, JBL is probably in a different league.
 
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom