• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

JBL L200B Crossover refresh?

emichael

New Member
I recently acquired a pair of JBL L200B speakers that sat unused for probably the past 20 years. I had to replace the speaker foam. They sound fine, but I am wondering if the crossovers should be refreshed / rebuilt simply due to their age.

I do have one occasional problem, but I do not know if it is the speakers. When operating at respectable volume (but not peaked out on the amp's meters), I will get an infrequent snap out of one of the speakers. The speakers are powered by a MC2105 which was recently refurbished by Audio Classics.

Since the amp & pre-amp needed a lot of work simply due to age, I am wondering if the crossovers also need some professional TLC. I have a funny feeling that I spent a lot to get the power working and that I am leaving something neglected with the speakers.

Would this be a simple DIY project, or a send it in to the pros project? Or, is this an 'it works so leave it alone situation'?

Thanks,
-Eric
 
Register to hide this ad
Roughly, where in the world are you?

I have a pair of L200s I have heavily modified over the years, built a new crossover for and all of that. I swapped a pair of 2234 woofers in, added 2405 slot tweeters, and eventually went to 2" compression drivers and a smith horn on top. I had a B-380 sub for a while and I have heard pops on its 2235 woofer when driven hard as the mass ring smacks the frame. Its rare, doesn't happen too often, but its a physical sound - I was watching a movie and it almost sounded like something hit our window the first time I heard it, but I played the passage int he film a couple times and realized it was the sub's woofer.

Might just mean you should back the volume down a tad ...
 
Roughly, where in the world are you?
....
Might just mean you should back the volume down a tad ...

NW Oregon.

Yeah, could be turn the volume down a bit. I didn't think I was pushing them to a limit though. The MC2105 is rated at 105 watts, and the speakers are rated to take 150 watts continuous. Testing at Audio Classics, the amp came in at 120 watts or so. Theoretically that should give me a good 20% cushion if I turn the amp up all the way - which I have not done.

Thanks,
-Eric
 
NW Oregon.

Yeah, could be turn the volume down a bit. I didn't think I was pushing them to a limit though. The MC2105 is rated at 105 watts, and the speakers are rated to take 150 watts continuous. Testing at Audio Classics, the amp came in at 120 watts or so. Theoretically that should give me a good 20% cushion if I turn the amp up all the way - which I have not done.

Thanks,
-Eric

yep, that doesn't like like hiting the limits - my sub amp is something like 600w bridged mono - I run it 10db down, and never pushed that system hard - but it can get a bit loud even at that.
 
I am admittedly NOT an expert on such things... The 'pop' that I am getting just sounds like what I would expect if a capacitor let loose unexpectedly. I don't even know if that is possible in a speaker crossover, but it seems like the next thing to check.

Do crossovers contain electronics which need replacing after 30 years or so?

Thanks,
-Eric
 
Back
Top Bottom