• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

JBL L300

rbnjr2

New Member
i have just purchased a pair of JBL L300's and was wondering if anyone has information on upgrade routes to take with them. I have been told the crossover caps are film and will not need to be replaced. can anyone confirm this? The woofer can go from the 136H to the 2235 model.. the cabinets are being reskinned and totally restored to their glory. any driver suggestions and maybe a special type of fill to help the woofer..im all ears.

cheers!
 
Register to hide this ad
If you have 136 woofers, don't have them reconed as 2235s if all they need is new foam. While similar, they are not identical and part of the L300's charm is the 136.

You can add 0.01 mfd "by-pass" caps on the capacitors to add some "edge." JBL did this in their later offerings. I used the Audiocap Thetas.
 
I would leave them alone to tell you the truth. I've done all sorts of mods to mine, from the Nelson Pass crossover to going full active and stock still sounds excellent in comparison. The best thing you can do for L300's is stuff the ports (not plug) and add some really good subs. These are fantastic speakers as they come from the factory and except for the foam (and maybe the Lpads) should last forever. The non film caps are encased in wax so they are isolated from oxidation/dryout.
 
I concur with leaving them stock; they are classics that should sound great that way. If the horn diaphragms crap out on you, you might consider the Radian replacements; they have aluminum domes for sweetness and Mylar surrounds for longevity.
 
Back
Top Bottom