• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

JBL Lancer 77.....any good?

The possibility’s are endless!
Horns, 3 ways, and you can use all
Jbl drivers to keep it in the family
You just loose their originality,
you rarely can recoup your $
Spent come time to resell them !
 
I have rebuilt many sets of these L77, and their brothers the L66s I've actually lost count of how may LE10As I've rebuilt over the last 25 years.

And, in fact, I owned a pair of L77s for quite a while.

I can say, the above was NOT my experience. The foam surrounds actually significantly outperformed the Lansalloy surrounds, by a wide margin.Both the bass and the midrange was better. Who would want the inferior performance of an original Lansalloy surround, for a speaker that is actually going to be used? I could only understand keeping the original ones, if it was going to be a collector's item "shelf queen".

There's a sonic reason why JBL went away from the Lansalloy, to a standard foam surround on ALL their woofers. And it wasn't because of failure- they did this, before any of them were even remotely old enough to fail.

Regards,
Gordon.
Hey !? still out there??
i am reaching out to see if anyone knows what capacitors should replace the old ones in the crossovers of the jbl lancer 77.
refoamed and want to rewire and recap them. got them for $200, and they were in storage for thirty years, in great condition, even had the original boxes.
thanks in advance.
 
JBL used Mylar caps in the 77 x-overs. No need to replace unless in the very rare event they've shorted or gone open.
 
It’s hard to make a firm judgement from a video but Kendrick Sound in Japan uses a beryllium tweeter and crossover that really makes these sing.
 
I started this thread about 5 years ago. I still have 2 pairs of L77. I turned them into ewaves some time ago and I do not regret it.
 
I have a pair of L77's that I got for $300 with all drivers professionally re-foamed without removing the dust-caps. They look like they were done in the factory. The foam is tucked under the cone, the way they were meant to be. The surrounds are also black, which I prefer over the newer anemic "white" surrounds. The cabinets are near mint but there is a stain on one of the grilles which is why I got them for less than the $400.00 he was originally asking. I think they are beautiful pieces of furniture.

In terms of sound, I agree with the above statements that they don't compare to the others you mentioned, but they do sound very good. I use them in a small basement room in a near-field setting. I really enjoy them with some of my vintage tube and SS amps. They really shine with acoustic music, Jazz and Classical but not that great for rock music.

View attachment 935103

Looks cozy!
 
I have a set of Lancer 77 speakers. I replaced the caps and induction coils, apply brake fluid to the surrounds every other decade. I also have AR3a (est 1969), KLH-5 (original version with 2 mid range drivers), 1972 Smaller Advent, KEF LS50, B&W 601-S2, Klipsch Forte (1989), Klipsch RP 8000-11. I recently got a set of JBL L-100s, originals with the offset drivers, ser 573xx A, Waiting for the new caps to arrive to test them. Estate sales are gold mnes where I live. The only speakers that I bought retail were the Lancer 77's, right out of Navy boot camp in 1971, and the Klipsch RP 8000-11. My room has full DYI rockwool acoutic treatment set up for a single listening postion located where low frequency room nodes are favorible, just like a mixing room. Absorption at the first reflection points on the walls, ceiling, and floor (3.5" rockwool+2" air gap), deep rockwool bass traps across the corners and at several locations where a wall meets the ceiling. Additional panels are located to adjust the room decay time and brightness. In the right room, the Lancer 77's can sound just fine. Any decent speakers can, with crystal clear mids and highs, tight bass, very good imaging, like real sound stage, and sound that is musically balanced. They sound a little different, but pleasent in their own ways. Worth listening to. Good room acoustics exposes music that is poorly produced or executed, not worth listening too. That's what proper acoutic treatment can do. I had a battle of the West Coast sound JBL77s vs East Coast sound AR3a's last week in an A/B test listening to Chicago and Blood Sweat and Tears. It was epic. PS: The JBL and Klipsch speakers benefit the most from good room acoustics IMO. The Klipsch speakers presented a wider than natural sound stage.
 
Back
Top Bottom