• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

JBL Lancer 99 LX4-1 Confusion. Sold for $520

Shanebow

Dayton Ohio, Magnepan MGIIIA's, Dual 1219, PS1
Subscriber
I have this set of JBL Lancer 99 LX4-1 speakers as pictured. They both say Lancer 99 4X-1 on them but one also has model number E8-99 on it and the other has S-99 on it. My understanding is that initially JBL produced the Lancers as one of the first set of quality powered speakers back in the '60s. This is what these appear to be. But neither of these speakers operate as the power speaker that the passive one is supposed to attach to. One of them does appear to have a surface cut out where the Energizer connections, as it used to be called, would be. But neither of them have the actual Energizer installed. So basically I have two passive speakers with different serial numbers. All that being said I think I remember seeing that these Lancer 99's were also offered in a "custom" format that I think was really just fancy language for producing the Lancer speakers without the Energizer amplifier in it. I'm just hoping that somebody who knows a little bit about these speakers can make sure that what I actually have is a set of Lancer 99 that was produced without the powered part of their assembly. So effectively I believe what I have is a set of Athena 99 that are labeled as Lancer 99. But any input anybody would have I would really appreciate. Thanks1000001202.jpg1000001204.jpg1000001203.jpg1000001206.jpg1000001208.jpg1000001207.jpg1000001214.jpg1000001212.jpg
 
Last edited:
Register to hide this ad
Same speakers! the energizer labels were slightly newer. on some of JBL's
larger models there were cut-outs for the energizer amps to be installed
 
So they're non energizer Lancer 99's and the cut out is where the energizer would have gone if they had been installed. So I guess they could be the same thing as Lancer 99 Athena's under the Lancer name since the Athena's are the passive Lancer 99's. I won't market them like that but I think I better give a bit of history so folks don't think they're getting powered speakers. Any idea what these might be worth? They look nice, they work, and I am now having to move some stuff to our storage room because I'm out of manageable interior space.
 
A sad fact of most of the Older JBL speaker systems, is that the Raw components,
in Most instances , they are Worth more than the complete together working pair
of speakers. The actual Value can't be brought up on this forum.
Try the Dollars and sense forum.
bobhorn
 
That may be pretty much true of most older desirable speakers and probably turntables. I was on a thread somewhere and the guy said he got some somewhere (these Lancer's) and he said he made a small fortune parting them out. Knew you couldn't sell here but did not know opinions of value were off limits.
 
That may be pretty much true of most older desirable speakers and probably turntables.
I have no idea what that means
I was on a thread somewhere and the guy said he got some somewhere (these Lancer's) and he said he made a small fortune parting them out.
really, a small fortune?

they have woofers that need to be re-foamed, these are not as easy to do as most woofers

shipping them is not easy either, I've seen several get damaged during transit due to careless and inadequate packing by sellers lacking knowledge of how to properly pack vintage and fragile audio gear

LX4-1 crossovers suggest they have paper cone tweeters instead of the more desirable horns

the foilcals on the back of the drivers may be pristine now, but in inexperienced hands can get scuffed and scraped diminishing their collect-ability and value

good luck making your fortune
 
Last edited:
The thing you have no idea about is my reply to the previous poster who, as you obviously didn't read, said in many cases you will find older JBL's are worth more as individual components than as a working set of speakers. Then I shared something that a redditor shared with me from a thrift shop find if Lancer 99's. One man's walking around money is another man's small fortune. I imagine you can easily envision that being true now that you finally have an idea. I mean the grilles are $75 each, cabinets probably a buck and a quarter each, probably at least $75 each for the woofers, which are good, so we've already far exceeded what I paid for them. His had an energizer in them, then there's the tweeters. So yes life is hard and we may encounter many difficulties along the way but these things troubling you are not significant and can easily be overcome by something called competency and patience.
 
The thing you have no idea about is my reply
The "thing" is, I am trying to let you know that parting them out not only comes with risks for someone who doesn't know how to handle them, but parting them out also depletes the availability of classic speakers such as the Lancer 99.

My advice is to leave them as-is and find someone who will pay a fair market price, (not a "small fortune") and use them as they were intended to be used.

:thumbsup:
 
I'm not parting them out but the thing about advice is wise men don't need it and fools don't heed it.
 
I have this set of JBL Lancer 99 LX4-1 speakers as pictured. They both say Lancer 99 4X-1 on them but one also has model number E8-99 on it and the other has S-99 on it. My understanding is that initially JBL produced the Lancers as one of the first set of quality powered speakers back in the '60s. This is what these appear to be. But neither of these speakers operate as the power speaker that the passive one is supposed to attach to. One of them does appear to have a surface cut out where the Energizer connections, as it used to be called, would be. But neither of them have the actual Energizer installed. So basically I have two passive speakers with different serial numbers. All that being said I think I remember seeing that these Lancer 99's were also offered in a "custom" format that I think was really just fancy language for producing the Lancer speakers without the Energizer amplifier in it. I'm just hoping that somebody who knows a little bit about these speakers can make sure that what I actually have is a set of Lancer 99 that was produced without the powered part of their assembly. So effectively I believe what I have is a set of Athena 99 that are labeled as Lancer 99. But any input anybody would have I would really appreciate. ThanksView attachment 3534759View attachment 3534754View attachment 3534755View attachment 3534756View attachment 3534757View attachment 3534758
Drivers look good from here.
 

Attachments

  • PXL_20250623_151105730.jpg
    PXL_20250623_151105730.jpg
    84.1 KB · Views: 10
  • PXL_20250623_151056342.jpg
    PXL_20250623_151056342.jpg
    96.5 KB · Views: 8
Interesting in that they are mirror imaged, something that usually JBL didn't do.
You can try brake fluid on the lansalloy surrounds. You may need two or more applications for the results to be long term. You can also refoam them - more difficult than other speakers, but I managed with no problem - Rick Cobb and others have the correct narrow surrounds.
I ended up econowaving mine, with a smaller wave guide recommended by Pete Basle, and they sound very good. I had to put the fretwork grill on little blocks to accomodate the small wave guide, but they retain the furniturey looks.
 
Interesting in that they are mirror imaged, something that usually JBL didn't do.
You can try brake fluid on the lansalloy surrounds. You may need two or more applications for the results to be long term. You can also refoam them - more difficult than other speakers, but I managed with no problem - Rick Cobb and others have the correct narrow surrounds.
I ended up econowaving mine, with a smaller wave guide recommended by Pete Basle, and they sound very good. I had to put the fretwork grill on little blocks to accomodate the small wave guide, but they retain the furniturey looks.
Good information. I think for now I've decided to see how the interest is in Barter Town before I potentially screw up some project speakers that aren't projects. But we'll see.
 
Looks like one has the original le-20 and the other has an le-25 as well. The le14a is a great woofer. Lansaloy surrounds can be treated with brake fluid from what I've read, although I've not actually done it. There's a thread on Lansing heritage that addresses how to. I think the energizer was a option.Nice looking pair. They're getting very rare.
 
Looks like one has the original le-20 and the other has an le-25 as well. The le14a is a great woofer. Lansaloy surrounds can be treated with brake fluid from what I've read, although I've not actually done it. There's a thread on Lansing heritage that addresses how to. I think the energizer was a option.Nice looking pair. They're getting very rare.
I'm still trying to wrap my head around these actually but I'm assuming even though they are Lancer 99's since they're not the powered versions, for some reason the separate model numbers on each speaker must be because there is a different tweeter in each speaker. Maybe true for the powered versions. Maybe not. Go figure.
 
I don't know 100%, but I've never seen a 99 with an le25? Maybe someone with Supreme knowledge can chime in? Back in the day you blew a tweeter up and found the nearest replacement? The voicing is still close enough to suffice? Good looking pair. If I owned them, I'd refoam the LE14's, and give them a whirl. Nice addition to to a secondary system
, or maybe mains? Gorgeous construction. I hope you figure out the best thing to do about them. I wouldn't kick em out of bed...lol. Best regards, SG-
 
Last edited:
Also, there are many models that had provision for the JBL Energizer. Don't let that fool you. Isn't that something that the powered monitor concept was born long before what we thought it was a recent concept? JBL baby!
 
Last edited:
I'd agree - they look and sound good enough that you might actually want to keep them if you do the brake fluid thing. I recognize that 'wanting to keep them' isn't necessarily a positive option. Space, spouses, and other interests sometimes militate against accumulation.
 
I have enough room for 3 2 channel systems at the most with maybe enough space for one piece of gear to work on at a time. Then I'm super maxed out. Keeping the remainder in our storage downstairs just seems like an incredible waste of gear and time. I just accumulated too much stuff. I'd rather have someone else who really wants or needs them get them and get them out of the storage.
 
Back
Top Bottom