• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

JBL owner just purchased a pair of Klipsch.

jlindsey86

Well-Known Member
Never really visited the Klipsch section but now I have a good reason to do so. I started putting together my system about 2 years ago. My first (and current) pair of quality speakers are JBL L-36's. I have enjoyed them for over a year now and havent felt the need to replace them. However I met a guy who had a pair of Klipsch KG 5.2's for sale and the price was reasonable.

I hauled them in yesterday evening. Not a HUGE speaker but definately bigger than my JBL's at 34" x 15" x 13" and 54 pounds. They are very nice and are finished in a nice oak veneer. Respectfully from the early 1990's. Right now I have about 5 hours of listening time in them, running from my Pioneer SA-7800. At fist I didnt like the sound compard to my JBL's. The Klipsch arent as forward in the mid range. The JBL's have an "airy" almost "grainyness" to them in the upper frequencies. Initially I felt like I was missing out with the Klipsch. The JBL's have more of a "live" sound to them.

The more time I am spending with the Klipsch, however, I am really starting to enjoy them. Both speakers have their positive and negative points. Background hiss on some recordings is more prominent with the JBL's. Its going to take several weeks of listening before I decided which pair is going to be the mains for my system. This has turned out to be a harder decision than I thought it was going to be.

I know that the Klipsch KG 5.2 arent exactly in the same league as Cornwalls and the such but here's a little info from Klipsch's website.
http://www.klipsch.com/products/discontinued/details/kg-5-2.aspx

DSC00415.jpg
DSC00418.jpg

Any other 5.2 owners out there?
 
Register to hide this ad
Give them time, I think you'll enjoy them. I have KG4s and Cornwalls and like both for what they are.

cubdog
 
another jbl/klipsch owner

I've used the little brother JBL S-36 speakers as fronts (with a sub) in my a/v system for a few years, and like them very well. I bought them new for $240. and was happy with the value. Lately, I have been setting up an audio system in a new basement room, and stumbled over a pair of the big brother S-38's used for cheep. $80.00, actually, unheard of.

Always interested in quality used stuff nearby at good $ that fits. So I tried the S-38's as downstairs stereo speakers, and was not unimpressed. THEN found some beat-but-not-broken Klipsch RF-3's, and they clearly need a sub less than the S-38's. Bigger sound on their own by quite a bit. So the S-38's will be kicked upstairs, and the S-36's become rears.

Maybe your experience with the K's is similar. Looks like I have a spare pair of actually-pretty-nifty Optimus Linaeum speakers as a result of it all. All worthy stuff in its place. My impression is that the K's stand out for sensitivity and bass handling, the JBL's for their sound field from a small package.

Meanwhile, :D I have an eye on a pair of Klipsch Chorus II's.
 
The KG's can be fussy about placement.It may take awhile to find the sweet spot.I have KG4's and they are keepers.
 
Back
Top Bottom