• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

JBL S99 Lancers Tweeter Replacements

Markmayne

Member
I have a pair of JBL Lancer S99's and I am looking to replace the Tweeters as they came with some aftermarket cheap tweeters. The crossover is the LX 4-1 and the woofer is the LE 14A (they have original surrounds that I am sure need to be replaced). I understand that the originals tweeters were not the best match-up for these speakers and was wondering if there was a good horn or super tweeter I could use. From what I have heard these speakers originally sounded muddy. I currently have 2 sets of JBL 4311's powered by a Harmon/Kardon 730 if that helps with a little back story.
 
Register to hide this ad
Looking at your equip, Might I suggest, After you have the Excellent Le14's Correctly Re-foamed
Try just sealing off the Tweeter Hole in the S99's. Then using your 4311B's,
disconnect the Woofers in them run a length of wires from the Xover's Bass outputs to the S99's
Le14's only. Place your 4311's on top of the s99's. Now listen to what a 3 way will sound like
with the Much more powerfull Le14's.
The S99's sound muddy because there is No Mid's, to cover the most critical frequencies
 
Looking at your equip, Might I suggest, After you have the Excellent Le14's Correctly Re-foamed
Try just sealing off the Tweeter Hole in the S99's. Then using your 4311B's,
disconnect the Woofers in them run a length of wires from the Xover's Bass outputs to the S99's
Le14's only. Place your 4311's on top of the s99's. Now listen to what a 3 way will sound like
with the Much more powerfull Le14's.

The S99's sound muddy because there is No Mid's, to cover the most critical frequencies
Thanks Bob, I will try it! I will let you know the out come. As a side question when they made the S99's should they have put a horn in them because from what I have heard horns can act as a tweeter and a mid.
 
Yes Jbl offered the Le14’s and
The dlh175 horns as the S101 I believe
Although in bigger cabinets to let the Le14’s
Dig deeper
Probably cost 2x the $ of the S99’s
Healthy DLH 175's With Real JBL Diaphragms now sell for over 700$
Not including the 1200 cps X-overs needed
 
Last edited:
Okay Bob,
You could not have thought I wouldn’t have tried it before I replaced the surrounds……right?
 

Attachments

  • 0F4BBFF5-1543-462B-8CB3-B38EED76A8B5.jpeg
    0F4BBFF5-1543-462B-8CB3-B38EED76A8B5.jpeg
    159.3 KB · Views: 26
  • 79CD4D00-F37C-4679-A5D4-33524A3ECCF4.jpeg
    79CD4D00-F37C-4679-A5D4-33524A3ECCF4.jpeg
    117.9 KB · Views: 23
  • B010F38A-36F6-4028-881B-8A70C03511FE.jpeg
    B010F38A-36F6-4028-881B-8A70C03511FE.jpeg
    125 KB · Views: 22
Thank you for the suggestion……I was going to get rid of the 99s. I still may. The truth is that I have a “Shame Closet” that’s supposed to be a bathroom. I have all the plumbing roughed in and most of the stuff I need for the whole project. I was supposed to start it 6 years ago. But I have Audioitis….that is what my wife calls it…..Anyway I am selling off my extra gear that’s been occupying the space.
 
Male Vocals and most Guitar licks are from the Woofers, so you want to get them up closer to
Ear Level. All JBL Bookshelf speakers require stands
 
Funny you just improved your 4311's.
and that's before a Proper Re-Foam on the Le14's
 
Au contraire, mon frere......I will re-foam them and and complete the job. I am too deep in this Audioitis! I can't not hear it as suggested. This 1st listen was a tease.
 
I will leave the Jbl
Bookshelf speaker guys
To Address the Xovers Issues
In the 4311’s
 
Several months back someone on this site, though I cannot locate the thread, used your woofer with the a 104h2 midrange and JBL L80t3 crossover .. I cannot remember the tweeter chosen but if it were mine I would probably use a GRS ribbon from Parts Express…just me but I am not a fan of JBL titanium dome tweeters.
 
Back
Top Bottom