• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

JBL TR125 for home use?

Jenkster

When I had talent
Subscriber
http://jblmonitors.com/index.php/JBL/TR-Series/JBL-TR125-Front-loaded-Two-way-Loudspeaker.html

Any thoughts or experience of using one of these monitors in a home situation? I would be driving them with a Sansui AU-717 85 watt integrated in a medium size room. Would it be a potential platform for a type of Econowave speaker? I do have a JBL 2225H woffer that I am not using. Do you think this would be a suitable upgrade to the stock woofers? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks!
 
Register to hide this ad
The sensitivity is 99 DB, so you should be fine with the sansui. Leave them stock, and let (YOUR) ears be the judge.
 
Those are JBL's bottom of the range budget speakers, and in my experience are lacking. A harsh, peaky compression driver and pressed steel frame woofer in a thin resonant particle board cabinet. The woofer is definitely not on par with JBL's semi-decent stuff - awfully beamy and vocals sound thin.

Also, being PA speakers, they sacrifice low frequency output for power handling so you'll find that a subwoofer is vital. Despite the 15" woofer, they begin roll off at about 70hz.

My advice is skip over them unless they're almost free, in which case you may be able to flip them on ebay. Building a cabinet around your 2225H woofers with an Econowave up top would be a much better idea!
 
Last edited:
Those are JBL's bottom of the range budget speakers, and in my experience are lacking. A harsh, peaky compression driver and pressed steel frame woofer in a thin resonant particle board cabinet. The woofer is definitely not on par with JBL's semi-decent stuff - awfully beamy and vocals sound thin....

Agreed. After hearing my friend's PA over the years, the TR225's just never sounded very good regardless of the venue or the mix. The TR series are a disappointment from JBL, especially after you hear their good stuff.
 
Thank you for the info gentlemen, I appreciate it. I haven't listened to them yet but I can get them pretty cheap but, maybe not cheap enough?:scratch2: Probably will pass on them.:yes:
 
http://jblmonitors.com/index.php/JBL/TR-Series/JBL-TR125-Front-loaded-Two-way-Loudspeaker.html

Any thoughts or experience of using one of these monitors in a home situation? I would be driving them with a Sansui AU-717 85 watt integrated in a medium size room. Would it be a potential platform for a type of Econowave speaker? I do have a JBL 2225H woffer that I am not using. Do you think this would be a suitable upgrade to the stock woofers? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks!

There's a nearly identical thread to this one recently, you might want to try a search.

My input there was that I have the TR225s, bought them with a Crown amp for ~$300, sold the Crown amp for $300, and I feel that I did OK. The boxes needed a bunch of work just to stay together & not rattle, and they've been stationary in rehearsal rooms & not gigged. Not real hi-fi in my experience, but they do get loud with fairly low power.

je
 
Back
Top Bottom