• Please note that Audiokarma will be offline briefly for updates early on Monday morning, September 28th.

JBL4435 & JBL4430 Studio Monitor Rehab Help

Jbrand50

New Member
New guy looking for help! I am trying to bring my stereo system back to life. I have a pair of JBL4435 Studio Monitors and a pair of JBL4430 Studio Monitors that I have owned since new. All the Carver equipment to drive them was taken out twice by power surges a number of years ago and I got so disgusted that I just unhooked everything and moved on to other interests. Age and those other interests have now beaten me up enough that sitting and listening to music has gained a certain appeal again.

The Carver equipment is currently being rebuilt and upgraded but I desperately need direction with the JBLs. The surrounds are completely shot, but beyond that I do not know and don't really know where to begin the diagnostics or where to source supplies or parts that would be the equivalent or better than OEM. They have been sitting in my house unmoved and in visually like new condition since delivered. Any and all help from the JBL Gurus, especially the ones with 4435 and 4430 experience would be tremendously appreciated. I am physically located just across the bay from Pensacola Florida.
 
Register to hide this ad
I too am getting ready to do surrounds on my pair of 4435 monitors which I also bought new. I would recommend using a pro shop like Speaker Exchange for replacement and labor.... should be about $95 per speaker if everything else is good. Google them and see what they say.
I'm trying to figure out how to pull them vertically without damage to the cones. No room to lay them down flat not to mention I may never get them upright again due to the weight!

Will wait til after X-mas to send mine off so as to miss the holidays and all that goes with them. Will keep you posted once I get started. AND, welcome to the forum!

Edited to add: I believe Speaker Exchange is in Florida so shipping should be less. Also, I recommend using original parts to keep sonic integrity in tact.
 
Last edited:
The best way to lay them on the backs
Highly recommend
Is to First get a 2x3 or 2x4 just long enough to fit
Flat on the back just inside of the outside finished
Edges then measure from the floor to just above the terminals. Now get someone to help you tilt them back.
It's much safer to use a carpet or Rug, not a hard floor,.
You don't want to damage the Veneer
Laying speaker on the 2x4. The reason for the 2x4
Is so you can get your fingers underneath
To pick them back up off the floor
4435’s are 260 lbs each !
Now you can loosen the screws that hold the speaker clamps and remove the 30+ lb woofers
And send them out for the proper behind the Cones
New Foam edges
 
Last edited:
While you have every thing apart, make sure you give the L-pads a good cleaning with a quality contact cleaner and lube like Deoxit. I had to take mine apart and scrub the coils with a brass brush to get them working properly. Being in FLA, there certainly could be some corrosion. Good luck getting those awesome speakers up and running!
 
I know the 4430 is heavy and the 4435 even more so. Removing woofers while the speaker sits up is risky, even with 2 people and 2 pair of hands.

Looks easy enough to remove, but often the Drivers are stuck to the front Baffle from adhesion over the years, and when the bond finally breaks loose all of a sudden, you risk dropping the speaker and causing further damage.

There are no original replacement parts such as foams, cone kits anymore. Not that there's any issues with the correct sized aftermarket foam replacements if they are done by a pro. And there's a bit of pro and con about cutting off-removing Dustcaps as well. Some prefer to leave them alone if they can.

Done correctly, they'll look and perform just as good as new. Do find a local JBL repair center, someone with a good, trusted reputation who does JBL speakers the right way, and if it was me, I'd prefer to avoid expensive, and risky shipping, where damage to them could possibly occur. Appears one poster has made a sound suggestion for a business.

Other things mentioned like L-Pads, and the Rotary Switches cleaned on the Crossovers inside "might" be required.
 
Some folks are able to do re-foam, and others won't chance such, and can't say I blame them. Sometimes, there's more to a speaker's age than just rotted foams.

I know various JBL drivers did have a propensity at times to come with slightly different sized cones. And commonly, the various Foam Kits for such Drivers might be available in a small variety of sizes per any given Speaker Model.

Many 12" drivers are like this, but I am not sure about these particular 15's?

I own a pair of 4430's and yes, I've had my Bass Drivers out to inspect, and take a look see around inside.

When you remove the Drivers, insure you check, and hook wiring back up correctly when they are re-installed
 
Back
Top Bottom