• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Jensen ID please

JohnMac

Addicted Member
I have a VM console with these speakers. I've determined that they are Jensens. Seems there are some very good Jensens and some not so good.

The code is 220 106
Also has these #s
208 123

PS12 S C68860.

Anyone familiar with these?

Thanks,

Add on. I think the P12 means alnico 12" and the 220 "106" would indicate 1951 or 1961 and my guess is '61

John
 

Attachments

  • VM Speakers 001.jpg
    VM Speakers 001.jpg
    82 KB · Views: 30
  • VM Speakers 002.jpg
    VM Speakers 002.jpg
    48.2 KB · Views: 37
Last edited:
Register to hide this ad
I've never heard of a P12S. I suspect it's fairly low end, but probably made well, coming from Jensen. It look like it's in good shape. If you don't use it yourself, you might try selling it on Ebay. The drivers with the hot dog cutout baskets are popular with vintage guitar amp people, I've heard.

I think I have a few of those tweeters downstairs from various consoles I've had.
 
Someone is coming to look at the console tomorrow and I want to make sure that the speakers alone aren't worth than my selling price of $150 for the console. Guitar guys is what I was thinking too. I'll post the Jensens and see what happens.
 
Last edited:
A Jensen P12S is VERY similar to a Jensen P12R, except with a smaller Alnico magnet and less power handling .
P12R.....12 watts.
P12S.....10 watts.


Steve
 
Just found that out but read 15 and 13 W. apparently the P12R was used in some Ampeg guitar amps and several Fenders including a Deluxe In the late '50s. Sounds like mine might be a little too light duty for for a guitar amp. I have a little 15w Blues Jr. that I'll try it with.
 
Last edited:
I have a single Jensen 12J11 from a VM console. Never heard of it, but some early gibson amps used the same speaker. Nice cone, same basket, but has a very tiny magnet about 1"x1". Sounds just like a P12R but lower wattage. Just because some Jensens don't have a good reputation doesn't mean they are bad- likely undiscovered because all of the hype is about the commonly known ones.
 
Mine sure sound good in the console. A little boomy but some damping material might take care of that.
 
I'm using a reconed 1960 Jensen P12R speaker, with my 5 watt EV Jr. head amp (EL84).
Do not see why that Jensen P12S couldn't be used with other similar, low powered amps?


Steve
 
don't confuse low power handling with poor sound.

low powered amps can get their tone from output tube distortion, and speaker breakup.
a 7W amp will not give the same mojo tone through , say , a 12" EV Force 100w guitar
speaker as it would through a 10 watt jensen console speaker.

with guitar amps, it pays to run a 50w speaker with a 50w amp ,and so forth.
 
it should be ok , but keep in mind , that speaker's 40 years old! the adhesives could
be ok, or they could be crumbly mush! anyway , it could sound awesome , with the
right setup and guitar choice . if you got carried away , smoked the speaker ....
no big loss i suppose . they don't sound very hi-fi.
 
Hey karlo. Just hooked it up to my Blues Jr. and it sounds much better than the "Fender" speaker that came with it. Mellowed it out a bit. Alway found the treble pretty harsh. The Jensen took the edge off of it.
 
Back
Top Bottom