• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Jico & Ortofon

Matt The Cat

Prowlin' At 78 RPMs
Hi everyone,

I've done some searches on "Jico and Ortofon" here on AK and really haven't found too much. I have an OM cart from Ortofon and have been using the OM 10 stylus. I'd like to step it up to the OM 20 or 30, but really can't spend the money right now (long-term unemployed). So I stumbled on Jico and thier styli. They make copies of Ortofon styli, right? They're not selling REAL Ortofons.

OK, so has anyone used the copy of the OM 20 or 30? How can they sell each for $58? That's waaaaay less than the Ortofon originals. Please let me know your experience with Jico.

Thanks,
Matt
 
Register to hide this ad
Jico is really well know for their SAS stylus which is amazing sounding. I would I assume that the HE and SAS would be better for the money then a legit ortofon, but the ortofon are probably better in the cheaper price range.
 
Yeah, you know what's weird? OK, so the OM 20 sells for $139 at most places, yet Jico sells theirs for $58. The 20 is a nude elliptical, but on the Jico page, they just say "elliptical tip." So I wonder if it really is a NUDE elliptical? That would explain why the OM 20 AND 30 sell for the same price from Jico. Maybe their using the same tip? If anyone has any experience with this, please let me know.

Thanks.

Matt
 
Jico is one of the best aftermarket producers and some of their product seem way better than the originals...

Hi everyone,

I've done some searches on "Jico and Ortofon" here on AK and really haven't found too much. I have an OM cart from Ortofon and have been using the OM 10 stylus. I'd like to step it up to the OM 20 or 30, but really can't spend the money right now (long-term unemployed). So I stumbled on Jico and thier styli. They make copies of Ortofon styli, right? They're not selling REAL Ortofons.

OK, so has anyone used the copy of the OM 20 or 30? How can they sell each for $58? That's waaaaay less than the Ortofon originals. Please let me know your experience with Jico.

Thanks,
Matt
 
not with those you mention. I had an Ortofon-made Dual DN 165 E that I guess is OM10 or 20. But I didn't fiddle with those. Otherwise i only have ortofon HO MC carts. No need of styli.
And I have some examples of VMS 20 MK2 with original nude diamond ellyptical stylii... if I'd need one I'd go for a JICO or an Original if there is one by chance.
 
Last edited:
I own the Jico Ortofon "OM-30" replacement stylus. Its a good value for the money, but I wouldn't characterize it as an upgrade from your current OM-10. More likely its a fairly equal performer to your OM-10. The Jico is well made, but the stylus is nothing super-special, nor would I expect it to be at that price point.

If you crave the OM-20 or 30, but don't like the price, another option to consider would be LP Gear. They make "LP Gear Replacement" styli for the OM series which are a quite good performers, and a bit softer on the wallet. For example, the LP Gear replacement styli for the OM-20 and 30 sell for $20 less than their Ortofon - made counterparts.
 
Hi everyone,

I've done some searches on "Jico and Ortofon" here on AK and really haven't found too much. I have an OM cart from Ortofon and have been using the OM 10 stylus. I'd like to step it up to the OM 20 or 30, but really can't spend the money right now (long-term unemployed). So I stumbled on Jico and thier styli. They make copies of Ortofon styli, right? They're not selling REAL Ortofons.

OK, so has anyone used the copy of the OM 20 or 30? How can they sell each for $58? That's waaaaay less than the Ortofon originals. Please let me know your experience with Jico.

Thanks,
Matt

Dude, I got the Jico Concorde 30 for my Ortofon LM10, and it's *really* *good*, but it was only $29 when I ordered, earlier this year.

It's a helluva good deal. Go for it. Really good service, really good shipping. If you have any questions, Jico has really good customer support, you'll probably get an email from Kazuyo Shimizu.
 
Thank you Whell and Martin.Ca. That's exactly the info I was looking for.

I've had this Ortofon OM cart for 14 years now and I kind of have a hankerin' to upgrade to the 2m Blue cart.

Thanks for your advice.

Matt
 
I too bought the Jico OM30 concorde last year. It replace an OM10, and brought an improvement in detail and bass extension. Not having heard an OM20 or an OM30 I can't say whether it was comparable with either, but my gut feeling says it's probably an OM15 to use Ortofon terms.
I'd hesitate before buying the 2M Blue. The 2M series is a step away from the Ortofon rather analytical house sound, being more on the bright and bouncy end of the spectrum. Consider also the Ortofon MCs, which don't get mentioned much but can be quite special.
 
I have an OM Super with an after market styli that we (the vendor and I) think is a JICO from the wholesale chain system. It was market as an OM10 replacement. I was looking for a test horse for used cartridge bodies and nothing special. It was cheap, like $29. It works fine. I suspect their $58 units to be quite good. Equal to an OM30 - not. That's pretty high end country. I have a real OM20 on another cartridge and it beat the cheapie, but it costs 5X as much. I'd go with JICO whenever they offer an product in price range above $50 as that seems to be their break point into "good territory". :)
 
Avole, thanks for the insight. Yeah, I do dig the Ortofon "house" sound, so maybe I need to hear a 2m before buying one.

Hell, I'm just surprised that my OM cart still sounds good after 14 years of CONSTANT use. I mean, I play lots of records and have to replace styli once every year at least.

BrocLuno, thanks for your insight into Jico. If I can afford it, I'm going to upgrade to the Ortofon OM20, but since I'm still unemployed, it won't hurt to try a Jico for now.

Thanks again.

Matt
 
Back
Top Bottom