• Please note that Audiokarma will be offline briefly for updates early on Monday morning, September 28th.

Job 225 by Goldmund

StevenZ

Never owned a Class D amp. The others I have in house and in rotation are the Odyssey Khartago SE, Belles 150A, Music Reference RM-10 and Granite Audio 861's, The amp in the main system before the Job was the Odyssey. All of them worked with the 2CE Sigs, but the Treo's are much to inefficient for the MR and I only use the Granite during the Winter due to the heat from the KT-88's.
 
Well, I took the plunge yesterday. I went ahead and ordered a Job 225 and a Tortuga Audio LDR3. I got tracking information from Goldmund a few hours ago but the number doesn't register on DHL's website. I'm assuming it will be live later on this evening or some time tomorrow.

I'll be honest, I'm pretty damn excited to hear the Job and the Tortuga together. I can't wait until they show up!
 
ictwoody, are you still loving the Job 225?



Well, I took the plunge yesterday. I went ahead and ordered a Job 225 and a Tortuga Audio LDR3. I got tracking information from Goldmund a few hours ago but the number doesn't register on DHL's website. I'm assuming it will be live later on this evening or some time tomorrow.

I'll be honest, I'm pretty damn excited to hear the Job and the Tortuga together. I can't wait until they show up!


Sweet! I'm sure you'll love it! I'm interested in the LDR Pre too.

My Job isn't going anywhere for a while. A long while. But since we're getting to the end of cool weather I was taking the opportunity to listen to my SET 300B's before the heat of tubes starts to really suck.

I'm wondering how good the Job would be with an active pre? I really like the idea of a Red Wine Isabella, which can be set for 0db gain. Need to save my pennies for that one though.

What speakers are you going to be using the Job with? My ultimate plan is a set of LS50's for the Job. I'm going to have two systems "stacked" in my listening room by this fall. The Job/LS50 combo and my full SET setup with my ShengYa's.

- Woody
 
Well, just a quick update. I got a confirmation from DHL (by text) that my package is scheduled to deliver tomorrow (Friday). That was quick! I ordered on Monday and it didn't ship until Wednesday. So, 3 business days from Geneva, Switzerland, to San Antonio TX. Well done, DHL. Well done, indeed.

So, I ordered both the Tortuga passive and the Job on the same day (about 10 minutes apart from each other). The Job arrives tomorrow from half way around the world, and the Tortuga hasn't even been shipped out yet.

I talked to Morten at Tortuga and he hopes to get it shipped out on Friday, or some time next week. I guess I'll just cross my fingers in hopes it arrives soon. Until then I'll just use the Sony STR-DB930 as a preamp and listen to the Job 225 that way.

As for speakers, I built some Invictus by Kurt Campbell speakers which use a 7" Scanspeak Revelator woofer and a CSS LD25X tweeter. It's a nice speaker but tended to sound a little too relaxed and "slow" with the Sony receiver I was using. Which is actually the reason I bought the Job. Most places I read state that it has an iron fist in controlling the speaker and has lightning fast transients with effortless dynamics. I hope it's attributes to speed give the speaker the life it needs to be taken seriously. I'll report back Sunday evening when I get home with the Job (gone all weekend, DANGIT!).

Cheers,
Steven
 
The Job 225 has landed! I'll take unboxing pictures for you all and upload on Sunday evening. Man, I'm excited to hear this thing. It looks much better in person than the photos online portray. Sure has some heft to it as well. Will update later :)
 
As promised. Here's some unboxing pics.
 

Attachments

  • 20140427_143005.jpg
    20140427_143005.jpg
    41.8 KB · Views: 43
  • 20140427_143033.jpg
    20140427_143033.jpg
    43.5 KB · Views: 39
  • 20140427_143129.jpg
    20140427_143129.jpg
    46.7 KB · Views: 33
  • 20140427_143151.jpg
    20140427_143151.jpg
    50.6 KB · Views: 42
  • 20140427_143201.jpg
    20140427_143201.jpg
    53.7 KB · Views: 53
And here's one with it powered up and in the system (temporary location).

I'm still within my first hour of listening and already I can say that this amp is keeper. It has pulled some crazy imaging and disappearing acts with my speakers and has an iron fist on the bass like I hadn't heard before. It's fast, agile, detailed and an absolute joy to listen to. Everything sounds so pure and true. I will report more later as I put a few more hours of listening in.

When I get the Tortuga LDR3 on Thursday I will give further listening impressions. Currently I'm using the Sony STR-DB930's preamp section which doesn't seem to be all that bad. It'll tide me over until the new passive comes, that's for sure.

Cheers,
Steven
 

Attachments

  • 20140427_145533.jpg
    20140427_145533.jpg
    49.1 KB · Views: 42
That's a handsome looking amp :) Glad to hear it's working out for you, I find within an hour you can usually tell if something is going to work for you or not. That Job amp definitely looks the business!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
Thanks. I clocked a few hours on it yesterday and it's really incredible. Unfortunately I'm moving on Saturday (closing on the house today) so the entire setup has been dismantled and is being boxed up. I have decided to let a buddy of mine borrow it until Saturday so he can test it against his Avondale and his Teddy Pardo ST60. He's got a few different speakers right now and is going to put it through a full barrage of tests. I'll post his findings when the reports start funneling in.

Cheers,
Steven
 
Now that will be an interesting test. I have not heard any of Teddy's gear, but seems to get a lot of good write-ups on the other forums for what it is worth. Have heard a few oddball Avondale pieces over the years, nothing real current. Thought Les always made some good gear though.

I am real curious about the potential Job preamp too, wonder where that is project-wise at the moment. Anyway, it is nice to have so many interesting options these days, especially ones that relatively affordable!

Good luck with your move! Tim
 
I'm quite curious about the future release of a Job preamp as well.

Considering the Job amp for a small system while I'm here in Korea.
 
There are photos of a Job preamp somewhere online that show nothing but a simple Alps blue potentiometer and an input selection, though I believe this was an early prototype a few years back. I'd hope any new potential preamp from Job would be better than a simple pot. Then again, the Alps RK27 is one hell of a pot, but as to not limit the performance of the 225 I believe they need to up their game.

I've high hopes for the Tortuga LRD3.

trhee, if you're curious about the 225, I say give it a shot. I believe their return policy is pretty short (3 days???) or something like that. My buddy with the Avondale and the Pardo gear has a bunch of Naim stuff as well. Seeing as you signature shows you're a Naim guy, it'll be interesting see how my buddy finds it compared to his Naim gear as well.
 
That Job pre is definately an older unit from say around 1995/6 or so. They had a nice little 50-watt amplifier too. The stuff then was a little quirky but very well made and good sounding. I had a friend that had some of the older Job stuff from that era. Am real curious what the new preamp will look like and what facilities it will have. This stuff is really hard to ignore.

As a Naim owner as well, I am curious about the above findings. Keep us posted!
 
Job has released their Pre2 preamp to pair with the 225 now. Hopefully we'll get some reviews in the near future.

- Woody


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
 
Woody, just read about that yesterday. Looks nice and simple, just the way I like it. Will be nice to hear about them once they get to making their rounds.

I enjoyed the 6-Moons write-up of the Goldmund facility tour, gobs of money there. Tim
 
Pre2 + 225 have arrived .. !

Just got my JoB sys kombo today via DHL and it is breaking in .. so no serious listening until it racks up some hours on the home theater system :banana: but, I am liking what I'm hearing with just the tv input & JBL S412P spkrs
 
Back
Top Bottom