• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Jukebox on the old days (up to the '90's - '000's)

Telecolor 3007

I love old stuff
Durring communist era, there where jukeboxes (in Romanian: tonomate; sg.: tonomat) at some hotels. I don't know if non-hotel luxury bars had them. Never seen one after 1989, except for a C.D. player one at a "McDonalds"... passed there just a few times, but never seen it in use.
How common where the jukeboxes in you area. Did you ever used one? Up untill they where used?
One intresting jukeboxes where the video ones. Not very common. Made in France, Italy, U.S.A. The U.S.A. ones used 8 m.m. film with magnetic sound, put in a cartridge (so more easy to change), the others used 16 m.m. film, trough I've read that the U.S.A. ones (the 'Color-Sonic') used also 16 m.m. film. There where the LaserJuke ones, with 20 c.m. or 30 c.m. (12") discs; I have a 20 c.m. one for LaserJukes.
 
Register to hide this ad
Jukeboxes had a sordid history with organized crime.

Jukeboxes had a one-bit mechanical memory for a song request, so if three people requested the same song before it was played, it would only play once, while the three requests were counted for accounting for royalties and pop-chart ratings.
 
Back
Top Bottom