• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Jumper wire

evan_wd

New Member
So I've searched and haven't been able to find any info on what people use for jumper wire. I'm starting a recap and will need some, but do I use solid copper wire? Scrap capacitor leads if they are long enough? Non-copper wire? It will be in the signal path so I want it to affect the sound as little as possible. Also, what gauge should I use? I'm thinking around 22 awg. Any info is appreciated!
 
Register to hide this ad
I've used self spun 24w into two leads and it can handle wattage for patching pcb paths. 18ga. strand to a single path to patch a rail lead. copper is your best patch if that is your OP question. :D
 
Scrap capacitor leads if they are long enough
Works for me... A while back I picked up a practical "give away" of odd ball 1 watt resistor values grab bag on ebay. Values which I'll probably never encounter. But I use the leads for jumper wires.
 
Last edited:
So I've searched and haven't been able to find any info on what people use for jumper wire. I'm starting a recap and will need some, but do I use solid copper wire? Scrap capacitor leads if they are long enough? Non-copper wire? It will be in the signal path so I want it to affect the sound as little as possible. Also, what gauge should I use? I'm thinking around 22 awg. Any info is appreciated!
I find the russian radiation-hardened cupper cables from novaja zemja mines very neutral, in addition the soldering
properties are excellent, they mates very well with eutectic solder ( but not leadfree).
 
I would recommend something like this assortment http://www.ebay.com/itm/20-AWG-1000...6878-5-10X5-/381612730563?hash=item58d9e428c3 He has lots of this kind of wire available, usually in a single gauge but I bet he'd make up an assortment of different gauges if you asked. Ships fast. The teflon insulation is nice as well. People say it is hard to strip but seems easy to me. Also the insulation can be slipped over leads you may want to insulate like that larger than stock capacitor.
 
Back
Top Bottom