• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

June 23rd - boston / western MA AK Day @ Markus' Place

\]

And as the night falls, I'm wondering who's trying on the black chaps left behind- Markus, or his lovely wife?:scratch2::whip::eek:

I can neither confirm nor deny activity with said chaps . . . oh wait - my wife is calling from the bedroom . . . YEE HAW ! !
 
Hey Markus,

Thanks again for hosting. I really got a kick out of your home brew stuff. For some reason I kept gravitating towards your basement treasure trove of stuff - it's a virtual museum down there. Thanks for the project tube amp supplies and the garrard stuff - I never thought I'd find a dust cover for that TT.

Please thank your wife for putting up with us - she's a lot of fun.

mhardy, thanks for the ride and all the help. I'll let you know when I order up the remaining parts. It was also fun meeting your wife and son - we should hook up again.

As expected there was plenty of good food, gear, music and folks. See you next time.
 
Marcus,
Thanks for opening up your home to all of us. Had a wonderful time.
Really great to see everyone and meet some members I haven't seen before.
I look forward to the next one.
 
Hi all,

Firstly, let me say a big THANK YOU to Mr. MARKUS and his very lovely wife for allowing us into their home and hosting such a WONDERFUL event!
My Brother Stephen (aka Steely Dan Guy) and I had an EXCELLENT time!
It was a real pleasure to meet so many of our AK members and friends of Mark. There was LOTS of FANTASTIC food (of which I had my FILL, I can assure you lol) and sooooo much neat Audio gear to see, listen to, swap/sell/Horse trade. I was almost at a loss for words when I first layed eyes on Mr. MARKUS collection of vintage gear! WHOA! I must say that I was VERY impressed with Mark's "homemade" 12" RCA OB Speakers with MRH's sweeet tube Amps. Ooooh, also ad my name to the list of those
"impressed" with the ROYD speakers! A special THANK YOU to MARKUS who
(upon my arrival) GIFTED me with a MONO TUBE AMP for use with my recently accquired Stephens Tru-Sonic E-3! WOW! I also want to say thank you to SOUNDMOTOR for gifting me a beautiful vintage Pioneer belt drive Turntable and to CABINOVER who GAVE me a pair of WHARFEDALE W-60's! WOW! (Bob, I hope you'll enjoy the Crown Royal). My only complaint is that I did not have enough time to talk longer to each member. I was quite busy with my Camera taking pictures of (hopefully) each and every one in attendence. I will be sending a DISK of the pixs to Mrs. MARKUS in the very near future. THANK YOU again Mr. and Mrs. MARKUS for hosting such a wonderful event and being such excellent hosts!

Regards,
Tom Patrick aka SixCats!
 
Saturday's events

Mark and Blair, thanks so much for throwing the party together at your house. What a great place to go for a ride. I wish I had that many rooms to have audio set up in, especially where your line arrays are.

It was great to see old faces and meet new guys (and ladies) as well. My wife had a great time although she went with trepidation that morning.

The food was fantastic and Mark, thanks so much for making the ice cream for my daughter Jenna!! She was mesmerized. And my son Alex couldn't believe the music on your Seeburg JukeBox, wanting to load it (the whole jukebox) in the back of the car when you weren't looking:yes: :D

Tom it was great to meet you, enjoy those Wharfes. Thanks for the Ginger Ale mixer!

Jimmie, You need a set of Allisons now huh?

Dave, the Royds are nice as usual. Doug, I think the Allisons were nice too. I didn't hear much in the HF department though with this ear infection that has plagued me for a week now. Wait til I see that doctor tomorrow and chew him out.

Paul, my son said he loved the Infinitys and he doesn't say much beyond his ipod.

John, Jenna enjoyed haggling with you and we had disco ball lights at 10:00PM when we got in.:banana:

Mark Hardy, thanks for fixing up the old Magnavox. Had it running in disco mode last night.

I, like Tom, only wish that we had more available time. We did hit the Yankee Candle store on the way back though and thought that place was really cool. The only problem is that it hurts my wallet.

I did take some pics but the only ones that really came out well had my daughter in them. Guess I didn't take enough as usual.

Mark and Blair, I'll try to host the next one so you two can relax and enjoy. You'll have to bring the baffles up here though :thmbsp:

Thanks again!!
 
Big thanks to Mark and Blair for having us. Gail and I had a geat time. I always enjoy hangin' out with AK'ers as they are the best!

I saw some awesome stuff, heard some awesome stuff, and had a great time.

I did leave a bag of speaker wire and cables that I'll have to collect at a later date......stupid me. :scratch2::smoke:

Best,

Paul :thmbsp:
 
I had a great time listening, eating, and meeting some of the people behind the names at AK.

Thanks again to Mark and family for putting up with us all, and feeding us to boot!

Joe
 
Thanks to our gracious and generous hosts and to everyone who made yesterday very pleasant! I had a very enjoyable afternoon.

EDIT: Ooh, I plumb forgot. Props to Markus on the 'final' incarnation of his KLH-driven, augmented FR OB's... they were tremendously satisfying to listen to. I might have to re-think my disdain for SS Marantz, too, given the admirable way his 2226B handled them.
 
Last edited:
Thanks Everyone !

I (and my wife Blair) were really pleased with the how the party came off - everyone who came was great; some people I had met last year at Deli's, but there were lots of people I was meeting for the first time. Got a nice zippy ride in botrytis' screamin' orange GTI too ! :zoom: We didn't get to do eveything planned, but it was a blast. I'll toss that AK-Benefit Pioneer up on you-know-where probably tomorrow, and any other gear that was left on the 'free table'.

the food and beverages were yummy (Ping's (a.k.a. Mr. Lurker :D ) Shish- Kabob's, Mr. and Mrs. Vintageaudio's Lasagna, all the great side dishes - Macaroni Salad, etc, and of course Birddog's mixology

and THE GEAR. . . . WHOA :drool: I only wish I could've heard more of it. Beemer's music server and funky Infinitys, the 'Allison Hour', botrytis' Royd towers were reeeaaaallllyy nice . . . thanks motorstereo for the sweet deal on the active crossover, and than you Mhardy for leaving me some toys to play with for a bit :yes: thanks SixCats! for the cool field coild Magnavox 12's - hopefully by next 'meet' I'll have them going on those JE Labs OB's :thmbsp:

it was great to see Lou again, and meet Ping, and 2325fan. Cabinover, your kids are great - the mint chocolate chip was a great idea :yes: hopefully by next time I'll have the '58 Seeburg playing tunes :thmbsp:

btw Cabinover - I have your 6V6 magnavox - you took mine :D 'course, this means I get to try my hand at making a Cherry veneered wood base - you'll get it back prettier than you left it :thmbsp:

I'm sure I'm forgetting people, but it is was great to see y'all ! we'll do it again soon ! Maybe September ? :scratch2:
 
Thank You Markus. :thmbsp: GF and I had a good time. Finally got a chance to meet some AK members.
Til' we meet again
Joe
 
You can relocate the speaker connectors on Cabinover's amp if you want to, Markus :-)

actually, I'm going to try my hand at a base which the maggie can slide into, thereby leaving the binding posts 'as-is' . . . should allow me to give some clearence on the inside edge where the power cord is too.

ALMOST FORGOT - who was the great guy who gave me those beautiful hand-made interconnects ?!?! thank you thank you thank you ! haven't used them yet, but they are works of art :yes:
 
I hope some of you took pics? I'll skip the smiley, but you know which one I'm thinking of ... :D Sounds like you guys had a great time.
 
yup - we's gots the pix - SixCats! is sending a CD of shots, so I'll wait to get those, since I only got about 5 or 6 shots (too busy cooking :D)

If anyone else has some pictures, please post 'em in the thread !

btw - mhardy was nice enough to leave his Bottlehead 2A3 / 12AT7 monoblocks, and a little Pete Millet hybrid tube preamp/headphone amp. My wife and I are listenign to that right now with my RCA 12" / JE Labs OB with the laptop as a source. It sounds n i i i i i i ce :music:
 
Boy that Magnavox amp sure sounds great Mark Hardy, thanks!

Now Mark why didn't you tell me I had the wrong one? I didn't give it a thought seeings as it was next to the other one I brought down. Duhhh......

Want it back right away?
 
Hey !

you got yellow polycaps in my peanut butter !

no worries - if you're game, I was going to build a nice wood base for it; maybe replace the radio shack knob with a classic chicken head knob like mine ?

that one also has a Amperex 6CA4 rectifier tube from my 'stash' - I didn't notice a difference, but it has the cool Bugle Boy on it, so it MUST be better right ? :stupid:

another thing I tried on that was using the coke bottle 6V6G tubes - 4 RCA's - again, didn't notice a huge difference, but it sure looked cool :yes:
 
'Tis up to you Brother. I just threw the knob on because I had it kicking around and it covered up the nylon shaft.

My wife said that you asked me why I was taking that amp. Guess you should have asked again, I honestly didn't even think about it. It'd been since the last fest that I'd seen it having left it with Mark to get working.

Let me see what I can conjur up for this one here, I have an idea or 2 in this little pea brain :D
 
huh . . . I don't remember asking, but it doesn't matter . . .

HEY - we could start a new trend -

PIMP MY MAGNAVOX !
 
Back
Top Bottom