• Please note that Audiokarma will be offline briefly for updates early on Monday morning, September 28th.

Just getting started. speaker size, wattage, room size

I'm having good success with 50 to 80. 30 doesn't cut it with a lot of speakers. Even 95 db speakers need more power with a lot of music.
I agree that without knowing what speakers he is getting that range will accommodate most any speaker, however, 30 watts can be more than enough with efficient speakers. I have a Luxman R-3030 that is paired with Wharfedale Rosedale speakers that will drive these speakers very loud without clipping or distortion.
 
30 watts is about all I would pit to my Wharfedale W70D's. Probably will take more, not going to try. But would like more volume from them with some jazz.
 
30 watts is about all I would pit to my Wharfedale W70D's. Probably will take more, not going to try. But would like more volume from them with some jazz.

Are you referring to a 30 watt amp, or to actual power into the speakers?
 
Who me? I run them with 30 to 80. Moderately. To lazy to go looking for and installing used replacement drivers
 
Oh...I thought your earlier reply meant you were putting 30 watts RMS into them!

I'm assuming now that you meant 30 watts at peaks...and more like 2-4 watts RMS. That makes a lot more sense!
 
Many of you run vintage equipment and have given me plenty of good examples of what is out there on the secondhand market, but any suggestions on new equipment. I'm looking into purchasing new. And will probably start with speakers. I'm looking at Wharfedale Denton 85 or Wharfedale Linton heritage. As I mentioned on the O.P. my listening room is small. any opinions on amplifier power ratings
 
You have been given both recommendations and the information needed to determine amplifier requirements for yourself.

But if you want the answer, it is 75 watts (RMS rating) into 8 ohms and at least 100 watts into 4 ohms. Mic drop.

EDIT - I've not heard many new amps, but was impressed with the Cambridge CXA81 my neighbor purchased last summer. It would be perfect for you. If you use a turntable, you would need to add a phono amp.
 
Last edited:
What I was leading to was asking an opinion regarding the speaker choice. In other words- " hey what do you think about these Wharfedale models " .
 
I've heard neither of them. But in the world of bookshelf speakers, I would give serious consideration to ELAC's Unifi UB5 or UB52. Don't let their relatively low prices fool you...to my ears, they perform as well or better than speakers costing 2-3x. Plenty big enough for a smaller room, but will need stands.
 
Thanks, spark1. Looks like a good place to start. I actually like the idea of not having an integrated phono preamp. The majority of my music is hi res and cd. And not having to pay for something up front like that puts the money where I'll use it. And I've read good reviews on the Elacs.
 
And for all the vintage suggestions, I really appreciate. Don't want to sound otherwise. IMO, when buying vintage, it seems a bit intimidating. like buying a new car compared to used car. when buying used you better darn well know what you're doing and what to look for.
 
And for all the vintage suggestions, I really appreciate. Don't want to sound otherwise. IMO, when buying vintage, it seems a bit intimidating. like buying a new car compared to used car. when buying used you better darn well know what you're doing and what to look for.
I've read several reviews on the new Linton and they've all been very positive. If I were going to buy a new set of speakers, that's probably what I would get.
 
Last edited:
Would that be because you own a product from that company?

No offense intended. I think the OP should be told when someone recommends something they own.
 
I had my neighbor's ELAC Unifi 5s on loan for several weeks. If I were going to buy a new set of speakers for a small to mid-sized space, that's probably what I would get (original or new version).
 
Would that be because you own a product from that company?
I hardly think the new Linton's have anything in common with a 1972 Wharfedale. As I said I read the reviews and listened to a demo of these on Youtube and was impressed that they stood on their own and didn't need a sub to sound good. The ELAC is a fine speaker, but I personally prefer the retro styling the Linton's have. For the record, it was the OP that mentioned these.
 
The ELACs certainly don't need a sub to sound good. In fact,, they are almost shockingly good in their low-end performance. And this coming from someone who runs a pair of subs in all three of my primary systems.
 
I hardly think the new Linton's have anything in common with a 1972 Wharfedale. As I said I read the reviews and listened to a demo of these on Youtube and was impressed that they stood on their own and didn't need a sub to sound good. The ELAC is a fine speaker, but I personally prefer the retro styling the Linton's have. For the record, it was the OP that mentioned these.

Do you own a Wharfdale product?

I consider speaker demo's over YouTube to be pretty much worthless.
 
Back
Top Bottom