• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Just got a Dual 1218 - what can I do to service it and get it up and working again?

indosilver

New Member
Title says all, more or less. I had the fortune to stumble upon a Dual 1218 turntable for free at a local yard sale. The turntable looks gorgeous but, main issue is, it doesn't really work. Even when plugged in, the platter and tonearm mechanism doesn't work (platter can spin manually at least) and the start/stop switch is somewhat stuck.

I imagine it is something to do with the lubricants used for Dual turntables, and I'd prefer to have all of y'all's advice before spending 80+ dollars on getting it serviced by a local AV turntable repair company (George Meyer AV).
 
Register to hide this ad
I'm no Dual expert but I think the 1218 is the same as a 1219 except with a 10" platter. So the mechanisms are the same

Somebody correct me if I'm wrong.
 
Go to vinyl engine and get a service manual. Two words “dry grease.” There is a long lever underneath connecting the start lever to the power switch. It’s rides on greased parts and is spring loaded. Dry grease keeps it from moving. Often the start lever won’t move. Do not force it. Symptom won’t start. Good luck,

Eric
 
I'm no Dual expert but I think the 1218 is the same as a 1219 except with a 10" platter. So the mechanisms are the same

Somebody correct me if I'm wrong.

They're very close so the bulk of the procedures definitely apply. :)
 
Since it is apparent you have never worked on a Dual automatic changer turntable, and may not be aware how complicated the mechanism is, I would strongly think twice about doing it yourself. Specific greases are required, and parts may be both frozen in place due to metal to metal corrosion as well as hardened grease and rock hard rubber parts. Do not try to force the arm up to multiplay position, that takes a fair amount of tonearm disassembly to fix. I’d be surprised to find a brick & mortar repair shop that knows Duals enough to only charge $80, but that is a bargain if they are good and can fix everything. I’ve done a couple & wouldn’t do it for $80.

If you have a lot of experience with complex mechanical mechanisms, and have the time & patience, then go for it. The 1219/29 tutorials are close enough to be quite applicable to the 1218, and there are a lot of them available with a little search effort.

Be sure to remove the cartridge & sled from the headshell (rotate the finger lift) before attempting any repair if the stylus is still there.
 
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom