• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Just got a Sanyo TP 825D...wondering if I should open it.

hoddle786

New Member
Hi AK, first post but have lurked for a bit. I've been collecting vinyl for about 10 years now but I am definitely still a total noob about these things...

I just got a Sanyo TP 825D on Ebay yesterday after doing a fair bit of reading on their quality and learning up on cartridges and styli and preamps that will work with it. She's a beauty and I'm really happy with the quality, considering how hard it is to get anything where I live in Australia, let alone Japanese made. Still has the original AT ST-35VD stylus and MG-35V cartridge on it which still sound better than the cheap turntable I've been using for the last few years before I learned how detrimental they can be for my records.

I would like to make sure it's all running as good as I can get it, and I was wondering if it's a good idea to open it up and clear out any dust and check if it needs oiling or anything. Any thoughts? It's a direct drive turntable so I am unsure of the best way to open it. I am also wondering if it is worthwhile to replace the RCA cables as the existing ones are getting a little twisty and very worn looking.
 
Register to hide this ad
G'day and welcome to AK.
My instinct would be to not bother with cleaning and fiddling until you've used it a bit and then I'd (depending on the space available) fit female rca sockets and possibly a female IEC power socket. My experience has been that TTs "usually" remain spotless inside and you can judge from the condition of the exterior whether to go ahead. I had a Sanyo TP625 a couple of years ago and I found it to be a very nice unit but I was offered a very nice price for it so.....
Someone else here will no doubt offer you good advice on Carts/Styli etc. so good luck
 
I have the same cartridge and when I replaced the stylus I bought the elliptical stylus over the conical, the part number for it is st35vde I think it was only five or ten bucks more.
Welcome to AK :)
 
Back
Top Bottom