• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Just ordered the Mcintosh c2300

It is funny in a way that we have many models out for review and the reviewers really like the sound. Of course this is with stock tubes.

thanks,
Ron-C

Of course. :D

These very same reviewers have no problem plugging Shunyata, Anaconda, Siltech, and Wireworld power cords into the review products. The have no problem using Acoustic Zen, Nordost Valhalla, and Siltech interconnects during the review process, nor are there any qualms with connecting various speaker cable concoctions while attempting to choose what words would best describe their opinions of the tested equipment.

It does make me wonder why some vaulted reviewer would not have a few special anointed vacuum tubes of choice that just had to be used to compare with the performance of the stock factory tubes. Why not?

Perhaps there are no advertising dollars to be had from tube manufacturers or retailers that would make the show profitable. :scratch2:
 
Last edited:
It is funny in a way that we have many models out for review and the reviewers really like the sound. Of course this is with stock tubes.

thanks,
Ron-C

yes, yes of course they do. it sounds great with the stock tubes. The point is that with the right tubes the noise floor can be lowered, improving the overall performance of the unit. Others on the forum (with the right test equipment have shown this)
 
You may believe that a different tube will lower the noise floor but this is not necessarily true. You are confusing gain with noise. Lets say we have a new C2300 on the test bench and at 2 volts out the noise floor is -115 dB.
This is above spec but not untypical.

If we now switch the tubes to say some old Teles that are used and their gain is lower than the factory tube. If we now turn the C2300 up to 2 volts the noise floor is -115 dB, again.

The other tubes are 'quieter' but not on a voltage out vs noise basis. You simply have to turn the preamp up more with another tube. Aged tubes that have seen service may sound softer than new.

If we have a defective tube, which can happen, a replacement tube will of course sound better. I have a whole bunch of NOS tubes. Maybe 2 out of any 12 RCA, GE, teles etc measure great where both sides are balanced, etc. That does not mean the less than perfect tubes will not work in a McIntosh circuit.

Thanks,
Ron-C
 
Dan

I will go back into my SS cave my friend and refrain from commenting on things that glow or play large round black discs. ;)


I'm in the process of converting all LP's into flac format. I've started to do some CD's. Using a record cleaner on LP's, both formats are in flac you hard press to hear a difference in most recordings. Sometimes CD's sound better or LP's sound better. Only when my MDA1000 indicates the source file is 48hz or 44.1hz you know for sure. Perfect example Joe Sample "Ashes to Ashes" on CD's is TRASH no nice way to put it!! LP version much better, I still think it was how it was mastered. GRP label LP's tend to out perform the CD releases. IMO

You have to replace the C2300 stock tubes. Think of stock tubes as 4 inches. The C2300 is requesting 7 inches NOS tube. The C2300 is telling you that it will do anything and I mean anything for a NOS. Sooooo you are just going to say NO!! I THINK NOT!! :music:
 
You have to replace the C2300 stock tubes. Think of stock tubes as 4 inches. The C2300 is requesting 7 inches NOS tube. The C2300 is telling you that it will do anything and I mean anything for a NOS. Sooooo you are just going to say NO!! I THINK NOT!! :music:
I think you need to go back further than the one post your are quoting because I think you mis-understood what I was saying. Many of the individuals here understand that I prefer the sound of SS to tubes and that for many reasons I will not be getting back into vinyl again. Therefore my posts add little value to threads discussing either so I usually just "lurk" and do not comment. I am not trying to convince anyone to agree or asking anyone to debate the issue. I have heard many fine systems that include both, just not a sound I prefer to live with.

My initial comment if you go back to the beginning was related to how tube types like to purchase a given product i.e. McIntosh, then change the sound by swapping out tubes. That is fine, you own it, do as you wish. I asked what if you do not like the sound of a symphony from your seat do you ask them to move around, or tune their instruments differently? It was all done tongue in cheek. It had nothing to do with whether the sound actually changed when you swap tubes.
jim
 
TomAto......TomAATo. To each his own. I agree with Jim. I think I will adopt his position on tube discussions, and simply remain mute. Vacuum tubes, interconnects, speaker wire, vinyl verses digital, it is all in the ear of the listener. Experience is the true teacher. Words will not convince anyone.
 
You may believe that a different tube will lower the noise floor but this is not necessarily true. You are confusing gain with noise. Lets say we have a new C2300 on the test bench and at 2 volts out the noise floor is -115 dB.
This is above spec but not untypical.

If we now switch the tubes to say some old Teles that are used and their gain is lower than the factory tube. If we now turn the C2300 up to 2 volts the noise floor is -115 dB, again.

The other tubes are 'quieter' but not on a voltage out vs noise basis. You simply have to turn the preamp up more with another tube. Aged tubes that have seen service may sound softer than new.

If we have a defective tube, which can happen, a replacement tube will of course sound better. I have a whole bunch of NOS tubes. Maybe 2 out of any 12 RCA, GE, teles etc measure great where both sides are balanced, etc. That does not mean the less than perfect tubes will not work in a McIntosh circuit.

Thanks,
Ron-C

i love it when you give us this type of info. Thanks!!
 
I think you need to go back further than the one post your are quoting because I think you mis-understood what I was saying. Many of the individuals here understand that I prefer the sound of SS to tubes and that for many reasons I will not be getting back into vinyl again. Therefore my posts add little value to threads discussing either so I usually just "lurk" and do not comment. I am not trying to convince anyone to agree or asking anyone to debate the issue. I have heard many fine systems that include both, just not a sound I prefer to live with.

My initial comment if you go back to the beginning was related to how tube types like to purchase a given product i.e. McIntosh, then change the sound by swapping out tubes. That is fine, you own it, do as you wish. I asked what if you do not like the sound of a symphony from your seat do you ask them to move around, or tune their instruments differently? It was all done tongue in cheek. It had nothing to do with whether the sound actually changed when you swap tubes.
jim

I really understand that it was tongue in cheek. I've had some of the best comic relief on this site during these trying times!! That is why I try add my own odd humor and insight.

Thanks Ken
 
TomAto......TomAATo. To each his own. I agree with Jim. I think I will adopt his position on tube discussions, and simply remain mute. Vacuum tubes, interconnects, speaker wire, vinyl verses digital, it is all in the ear of the listener. Experience is the true teacher. Words will not convince anyone.

The hobby is highly subjective, to each his own and all that, I get it! But "mute" Jdandy...... I'll not hear of it, where is the fun in that? :nono:
...........:D
 
jamnesta.......I didn't mean mute, literally. It's just that when I begin to converse on subjective points of view, every opinion is as valid as the next, and sometimes the conversation becomes endless, and rather dull. No new material gets brought to the table, it just gets recycled.
 
The Mcintosh C2300 preamp will be my first Mcintosh component that I have ever owned.
I have of course been aware of Mcintosh since the mid 1970s and have always marveled at their distinctive styling and looks.

With all there is to choose from on the market new and used I finally choose the C2300 and I'm pretty shure I made a good choice.

I came across AudioKarma just recently while researching the Mcintosh preamp and I have a few questions of my own.

On a scale from 1 to 10 where would you rate sections of the C2300 ,for example.
The overall performance

Thank you

I have had my MC 2300 for about 6 months. I really love this preamp. I don't use LP's on my system. Only CD's and DVD's. I have the MCD1000/MDA1000 combo and the McIntosh 871 DVD. I have changed out any mac gear I didn't like. Price was no object. I would have run the C1000 setup but I like being able to adjust bass and treble. I have listened to both the C1000 and MC2300 at L&M Entertainment in Phoenix, AZ. The difference didn’t warrant changing out the units. The 2300 has been excellent and I plan to keep it. There are many different opinions about tubes. People obviously have very different tastes. I prefer a tube that doesn’t have a real strong impact on the sound. I tried all kinds of tubes in my MC2300. I found the Tung Sol ECC803S/12AX7 Gold Pin tube the best. It still leaves the tube affect without any dead spots in the frequency range. They are in my opinion better than the stock mac tubes. I purchased lots of other brands including NOS Telefunken smooth plate and ribbed plate just to mention a couple and didn’t really care for any of them for one reason or another.
 
Last edited:
Just to let you know I picked up my C2300 yesterday.

This being my first ever Mcintosh component , first impressions unpacking and going through the owners manual its easy to see Mcintosh take great pride in their products.

Because of a load of other things to do I got as far as hooking up my refurbished Fisher 100B tube tuner and LIKED what I heard very much.

Next up will be spinning some 1950s vintage vinyl.
 
Last edited:
Just to let you know I picked up my C2300 yesterday.

This being my first ever Mcintosh component , first impressions unpacking and going through the owners manual its easy to see Mcintosh take great pride in their products.

Because of a load of other things to do I got as far as hooking up my refurbished Fisher 100B tube tuner and LIKED what I heard very much.

Next up will be spinning some 1950s vintage vinyl.
Rule #1 You cannot wait 24 hours to let us know that your unit has arrived and been opened. Happy listening. :)
 
Rule #1 You cannot wait 24 hours to let us know that your unit has arrived and been opened. Happy listening. :)

I'll make up for it with a review of the 2300 with a line up of some excellant vintage first pressings of Jazz and Classical that I have in my collection.
 
Congrats Lumber Jack,

I know that you will LOVE that Preamp for a long time.

Lets see some photos of your equipment when you get it all set up.

I bet you have a nice TT for those old records.
 
Congrats Lumber Jack,

I know that you will LOVE that Preamp for a long time.

Lets see some photos of your equipment when you get it all set up.

I bet you have a nice TT for those old records.

North and South Carolina and Dan the sailor in North Florida, the pan handle?
Either state I could handle for a week or so right now. Up here in my neck of the woods the surrounding lakes are still froze over with snow still on the ground here and there. Today it warmed up to 40 if you weren't in the shade.

Two Dot, currently I'm in the middle of building a new system and I do not have amps, speakers yes.
I did buy some Sennhiser HD600 head phones this past weekend so at least I could listen to my tuner, it's going to be a while me thinks before I nail down what I want,err can afford for the other part of my system.

My turntable is a German built TW Acustic Raven with a Graham B44 Phantom arm , though no cartridge picked out as of yet, very soon though.
As mentioned I do have a few very well recorded early and first pressings vinyl in mono and stereo I'm iching to listen to again.
 
North and South Carolina and Dan the sailor in North Florida, the pan handle?
Either state I could handle for a week or so right now. Up here in my neck of the woods the surrounding lakes are still froze over with snow still on the ground here and there. Today it warmed up to 40 if you weren't in the shade.

Two Dot, currently I'm in the middle of building a new system and I do not have amps, speakers yes.
I did buy some Sennhiser HD600 head phones this past weekend so at least I could listen to my tuner, it's going to be a while me thinks before I nail down what I want,err can afford for the other part of my system.

My turntable is a German built TW Acustic Raven with a Graham B44 Phantom arm , though no cartridge picked out as of yet, very soon though.
As mentioned I do have a few very well recorded early and first pressings vinyl in mono and stereo I'm iching to listen to again.
Continue to do what you are doing. Buy quality units as you can and in the end you will be a happy man.

Are you up there in Northern Ontario when once those beautiful lakes thaw the horse flys come out and they are the size of sparrows?
 
Back
Top Bottom