• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Just picked up a CX2

dirtyblues

Member
It's replacing a C4 that has been sounding good but been unreliable. Other components are Musical Fidelity A3cr amp, Microseiki BL91/SME 309/Denon DL304 and a chromecast audio for streaming digital. Early impressions are very positive, phono stage sounds great, super clean and balanced with the Denon cartridge, better balanced than it was with the C4.
It looks and feels much better than on pictures, I think because the shape of the fascia makes it look like plastic on images but everything is metal. Love the motorised input selection and volume dials!
Headphone amp sounds good too.
I haven't opened it yet or taken pictures but I will soon.
 
Register to hide this ad
I have a CX-1 and love it so my guess is that the CX-2 is no slouch either. I was pretty blown away at how clean and fresh the phono stage sounds in the CX-1.

I would recommend finding someone that can fix your C-4 because once the bugs are worked out (cracked solders, leaking cap in the phono section, the diode fix etc.) they're a wonder in their own right. A lot of warmth for solid state. Not too many pre's that have that many MM phono settings and selectable dual pre-outs. Unfortunately Yamaha doesn't publish any gain numbers for their MC phono section and with my C-4 I noticed a big boost in dynamics and balance going from an AT-33ptg/ii to an AT-33ml/occ. I think it's the direct result of the boost in output voltage from one to the next.
 
I like my C4, done a lot of work myself on it with the guidance of nice people on this forum. not sure what I'm going to do with it yet.
Regarding the CX2 phono stage, yes clean and fresh. I would add dynamic. Really good with the DL304.
 
i have a cx-2 bought at sound salesman discount of 50% of list , great pre-amp . I rarely us phono, /TT yamaha px-3. It is very clean sound especially with Grace 9FE cartridge.. Remote control for volume a a plus
 
Back
Top Bottom