• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Just purchased a MINT Marantz 6200 at an estate auction. What next?

shport

New Member
I won an auction for a Marantz 6200 a few days ago and picked it up today. I was hoping it would be clean and absent of too much damage but this is blowing my mind. This thing is in perfect condition. Even the shell looked flawless other than what looked like a recent scratch, probably from the estate sale. There isn't a spot or scratch on this thing. It looks like it may have been used a few times then boxed up until now. The only issue was the melted belt residue. I pulled the remnants of the belt out but some of it was glued to the metal surface below the platter. I tried to clean it with alcohol, then some WD-40 but didn't want to try too hard as I don't want do damage the warning sticker that is still in mint condition.

Any ideas on what I can use to safely clean this residue off of the metal? (see last picture)

One last question.... Do the pitch control knobs always feel this "heavy"? Requires minor effort to turn.

IMG_6149.JPGIMG_6151.JPGIMG_6150.JPGIMG_6152.JPG
 
Register to hide this ad
I can't help you with cleaning up the belt. But I have a 6200 and it is a very reliable TT. I am running a Shure M95ED with a new Jico Hyper elliptical stylus. They are nice tables. Great scroe!
 
Nice score.

99% IPA on a Qtip usually works. If not try acetone. Using the cotton swab ensures controlling how much it spreads.

The controls will likely loosen up and be more accurate too after cleaning with contact cleaner like Deoxit.
 
I can't help you with cleaning up the belt. But I have a 6200 and it is a very reliable TT. I am running a Shure M95ED with a new Jico Hyper elliptical stylus. They are nice tables. Great scroe!
Nice. Mine has the original Stanton 600ee? I really don’t think this thing has been used more than a couple of times, if that. I paid $180 and it’s pristine.
 
I have a 6200 with a custom plinth (African Bubinga wood) and a new JnB dust cover. It looks marvelous (IMO!). These tables were made in Japan by the CEC corporation who made tables for several of the big companies- the 6200 is the middle model between the plain6100 and the direct drive 6300- these are pretty good tables with just a few mods:

I put an Oyaide BR-12 mat on it and it sounds much better than the stock mat. I tried cork, cork-rubber, and acrylic mats, but the BR-12 is hands down the best on the very light weight platter. I'm using an AT-VM540ML cart on an AT headshell (the factory headshell is very heavy, about 14 grams, AT is 9 grams- this way the counter weight is much closer to the fulcrum and the arm tracks much better.)

I just put in all new capacitors last Tuesday as it was starting to have speed stability issues. The speed control pots function much more easily if you use some DeOxit F100L Fader Lube- they should not be hard to turn.

old-new caps.jpg109_3772.jpg109_3786.jpg
 
Last edited:
I have a 6200 with a custom plinth (African Bubinga wood) and a new JnB dust cover. It looks marvelous (IMO!) I put an Oyaide BR-12 mat on it and it sounds much better than the stock mat. I'm using an AT-VM540ML cart on an AT headshell (the factory headshell is very heavy, about 14 grams). I just put in all new capacitors last Tuesday as it was starting to have speed stability issues. The speed control pots function much more easily if you use some DeOxit F100L Fader Lube- they should not be hard to turn.

View attachment 3298682View attachment 3298684

Wow. That's beautiful. I'm looking into replacing the Stanton as I'm sure it's decades old. I've also been wondering if there's anything to do to polish the veneer without doing any damage. For the deoxit on the pots, are you doing that from the bottom of the turntable or from the top?

Thanks in advance.
 
The "veneer" on yours is a vinyl wrap- just clean it with dish soap& water. Take the bottom off (4 screws) then stand the table on the side edge so you can get the lube into the little holes in the pots.
While you have the bottom off, hold the top of the feet while you twist the bottom to loosen them up- they are adjustable (two pieces) and are usually stuck/frozen -makes it much easier to level the table when the feet adjust like they are supposed to.
20240910_091713.jpgs-1l1600.jpg
 
Last edited:
Forgot to add that after you take the bottom off there is a triangle brace covering the pots which is held on by two screws. If you pull the silver knobs off the pots then remove two screws from the plastic base the pots are attached to you can pull that whole part out- makes it even easier to get them cleaned& lubed:

109_2097.jpg
 
Forgot to add that after you take the bottom off there is a triangle brace covering the pots which is held on by two screws. If you pull the silver knobs off the pots then remove two screws from the plastic base the pots are attached to you can pull that whole part out- makes it even easier to get them cleaned& lubed:

View attachment 3299315
Thanks for this. Appreciate the direction. I am watching a guy on Youtube fix up a rundown 6200 and he shows the same way of cleaning.
 
Turntableguy and millervintagehifi on youtube service and repair vintage turntables thoroughly in a stepwise fashion. Great channels to just watch and learn even if it isn't a TT that you own they are working on.
 
Turntableguy and millervintagehifi on youtube service and repair vintage turntables thoroughly in a stepwise fashion. Great channels to just watch and learn even if it isn't a TT that you own they are working on.
Yes. Turntable guy has the awesome 6200 tune-up that I’m watching. Great video. I’m going check out Miller. I’ve seen his videos around but haven’t watched yet. Consuming all media like Neo in The Matrix.

Wanted an excuse to post an updated pic. Thanks.
 

Attachments

  • IMG_6201.jpeg
    IMG_6201.jpeg
    145.3 KB · Views: 21
I have a 6200 with a custom plinth (African Bubinga wood) and a new JnB dust cover. It looks marvelous (IMO!). These tables were made in Japan by the CEC corporation who made tables for several of the big companies- the 6200 is the middle model between the plain6100 and the direct drive 6300- these are pretty good tables with just a few mods:

I put an Oyaide BR-12 mat on it and it sounds much better than the stock mat. I tried cork, cork-rubber, and acrylic mats, but the BR-12 is hands down the best on the very light weight platter. I'm using an AT-VM540ML cart on an AT headshell (the factory headshell is very heavy, about 14 grams, AT is 9 grams- this way the counter weight is much closer to the fulcrum and the arm tracks much better.)

I just put in all new capacitors last Tuesday as it was starting to have speed stability issues. The speed control pots function much more easily if you use some DeOxit F100L Fader Lube- they should not be hard to turn.

View attachment 3298682View attachment 3299309View attachment 3299310
The veneer looks gorgeous! Nice TT!
 
The veneer looks gorgeous! Nice TT!
It sounds surprising good with a lightweight headshell (9 gram) and AT-VM540ML cartridge. It used to have the stock heavy Marantz headshell (14 grams) and a Shure 97Xe cart (bonded elliptical stylus) and it was so-so sounding. With the Oyaide BR-12 mat reducing noise from the light aluminum platter and a good cartridge, along with a now rock steady speed I find myself listening to it more than the Rega P3 based Azure table that sits right next to it.
109_3782.JPG
 
Back
Top Bottom