• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Just sat through "The Room"

TAGO MAGO

Super Member
After years of hearing about Tommy Wiseau's "The Room" as being the worst film ever made, I decided to watch it. Anybody else see this film? There are a lot of classic lines in this one, but my favorite happens to be where Lisa is on the phone and says to Mark "...I am going to do what I want to do and that's it! What do think I should do?" I've never seen so many continuity problems in one film. I feel like I just had a really bad trip watching that thing. It literally gave me a headache.
 
Register to hide this ad
Man, my friends are convinced it's the worst, if only from reviews. I really want to see it, knowing full well how bad it is. I love bad movies, and this one is a complete trainwreck, even the director/writer/star of unidentifiable origin is a trainwreck in his own right.

among reasons I want to see it;

"Oh hai doggy" "Oh hai danny" "Oh hai..."
"I did not hit her, I did naaaught"

and then there's playing "football" in full suits, among other things.

My friends, again from reviews(most of which are taken down because of Wiseau), are convinced its the worst ever - that can't be true, i've probably seen worse ("Space transformers" is a tale for another topic;)) Needless to say, it's a cult classic for reasons originally unintended.
 
If you do watch the film, pay close attention to the continuity errors related to the apartment/townhouse. The doorways never seem to lead to the same place twice and I swear the living room changes size in certain scenes.

There are several scenes on the rooftop which the city backdrop is clearly a bluescreen:

attachment.php

I am a little confused about the light source on this one. Does it appears to be noon and afternoon at the same time. Maybe even complete overcast on top of the building and clear everywhere else.
attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php


Also notice the sky in the first two shots and the one in the third. That is how they were sequenced in the film. Again completely inept light source arrangement.
 

Attachments

  • vlcsnap-2010-11-22-22h52m44s217.jpg
    vlcsnap-2010-11-22-22h52m44s217.jpg
    29.9 KB · Views: 62
  • vlcsnap-2010-11-22-22h53m25s115.jpg
    vlcsnap-2010-11-22-22h53m25s115.jpg
    22.7 KB · Views: 62
  • vlcsnap-2010-11-22-22h53m48s90.jpg
    vlcsnap-2010-11-22-22h53m48s90.jpg
    22 KB · Views: 62
  • vlcsnap-2010-11-22-22h53m28s149.jpg
    vlcsnap-2010-11-22-22h53m28s149.jpg
    18.4 KB · Views: 63
By the way, here's how I judge movie badness; "Is it worse than Bio-dome?"

Also, Tago Mago, you are putting far too much stock in the abilities of the filmmakers, just be glad they didn't leave in the greenscreen, and attempted to make it roughly "normal"...though the last one...is that Mordor in the background?:scratch2:

I really do need to see this all the way through, i've heard a ton about it...

another great quote;

"I'm faidup with this wurold", Wiseaus bizarre accent (europeon:dunno:?) is a goldmine.
 
By the way, here's how I judge movie badness; "Is it worse than Bio-dome?"

Also, Tago Mago, you are putting far too much stock in the abilities of the filmmakers, just be glad they didn't leave in the greenscreen, and attempted to make it roughly "normal"...though the last one...is that Mordor in the background?:scratch2:

I really do need to see this all the way through, i've heard a ton about it...

another great quote;

"I'm faidup with this wurold", Wiseaus bizarre accent (europeon:dunno:?) is a goldmine.

In interviews he dodges questions about his past, although he did claim to be from France. Yeah, right, so did the Coneheads. That definitely does not sound like a French accent. One interview stated that he sounds like "Borat doing an impersonation of Christopher Walken playing a mentally retarded person" or another states he sounds like "Williem Dafoe after suffering a stroke".

I am not sure why they just did not shoot the outdoor scenes on location somewhere. Again, I could just be giving these filmmakers too much credit again. Looking at the top picture, take note of the rooftop access stairway. This is on the left hand corner of the building. Whenever anyone leaves the roof, they go down and then left which would lead nowhere.
attachment.php
 

Attachments

  • vlcsnap-2010-11-23-08h43m29s110 copy.jpg
    vlcsnap-2010-11-23-08h43m29s110 copy.jpg
    37.7 KB · Views: 35
I don't know why but its one of my favorite movies... I can't stop laughing when I watch it.

Apparently this is what happened at the initial screening, as a result, Wiseau started marketing this as a black comedy. When life gives you lemons, make lemonade, although he is trying to make orange juice. There is no way that this was ever meant to be a black comedy.

Don't get me wrong, I laugh too, but it's also a bit painful. For his next film he should get Jandek or Y. Bhekhirst to do the soundtrack. Who knows Tommy Wiseau and Y. Bhekhirst may be the same person.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=exTMCq0cnLs
 
Uh, have you ever seen "Manos, Hands of Fate"?

I'd hold off on awarding this film the worst film ever until you've taken a gander at Manos.
 
Uh, have you ever seen "Manos, Hands of Fate"?

I'd hold off on awarding this film the worst film ever until you've taken a gander at Manos.

I don't know, I think the acting in "Manos" was slightly better. I thought the 1976 film "Snuff" was the worst I had ever seen before watching "The Room".

"The Swap" is also a contender and it has Robert DeNiro, well sort of. DeNiro's scenes came from a short movie called "Sam's Song" from 1969. "Sam's Song" was never released (who knows it could have even been a lost television pilot) and in 1979 or 1980, since DeNiro was now a big star with "The Deer Hunter" and "Taxi Driver" on his resume, some shady film maker decided to capitalize on DeNiro's fame without actually having to get DeNiro. While the film is supposed to be written around the DeNiro scenes, they really have nothing to do with film.
 
Can't be as bad as, Freddy got fingered.

UGH! that's one of the few films I cut short, about 20 minutes in, I went "thats it" and left.

By the way, the turning left to nothing - brilliant find of the utter incompentance of the director:thmbsp:
 
By the way, the turning left to nothing - brilliant find of the utter incompentance of the director:thmbsp:

The funny thing is that is one of MANY errors like that throughout the film. You would think that the apartment that contains "The Room" was designed by M.C. Escher.
 
Back
Top Bottom