• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

JVC 4VN-990 is not passing sound

bernierunns

New Member
Long story short I got this from a friend that passed away. It was his dad's and he wanted to see if I could get it working again. He unfortunately passed before I could get to it. I have been sitting on it for a few years now and finally decided to try to resurrect it this morning.

The unit powers up, I have lights in the meters on the front. I have tried every input and the meter don't register a signal level, nor do I have a signal through the headphones. I am checking the DC offset now although I doubt that is where my problem lies. I was thinking about starting with the transformer voltages to start with.

Can anyone give me some advice on what the issue might be? I have experience with building tube guitar amps but solid state baffles me for some reason.

Thanks.
 
Register to hide this ad
I'll have to read up on the pre-main links. I'm not exactly sure what that is. I do have a ton of transistors though, maybe I'll get lucky and won't have to order many.
 
Manual at hifi engine
Probably the c458s and capacitors
Trimpots are problematic
Any relay click?
 
Mine cut out at a quarter turn of the volume
Replaced all capacitors and c458
The 711s and the heatsinked transistors were fine .
 
Back
Top Bottom