• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

JVC KD-S201 - worthy?

Tommy_B

Well-Known Member
Anyone been using this cassette deck? I might make an offer on a package deal that includes this deck and was wondering if it would be worth hanging on to, seeing as I already have a working Aiwa AD-F770 and a non-working Pioneer CT-F1000 waiting in the wings. The frequency response specs aren't great (30-16khz +/- 3db with CrO2 tape), but the other specs are good... specs don't always tell the whole story.

So, does this deck sound better than specs would indicate?

KD-S201_pic.jpg


Specifications
Type: 2-head, single compact cassette deck
Track System: 4-track, 2-channel stereo
Tape Speed: 4.8 cm/s
Heads: 1 x record/playback, 1 x erase
Motor: frequency controlled DC servo
Tape Type: type I, FeCr, CrO2
Noise Reduction: ANRS
Frequency Response: 30Hz to 16kHz (Cr02 tape)
Signal to Noise Ratio: 61dB (ANRS)
Wow and Flutter: 0.06%
Total Harmonic Distortion: 0.5%
Input: 80mV (line), 0.2mV (mic)
Output: 0.5V (line)
Dimensions: 500 x 167 x 359mm
Weight: 9.3kg
Year: 1978
 
Last edited:
Register to hide this ad
The KD-S201 was fairly early in Cassette Deck evolution, I always liked their looks but ... when I auditioned one back in the late 70's it did not sound as good as the KD-65 which was what I ended up buying.

Mark Gosdin
 
Back
Top Bottom