• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

JVC/ Nivico SRP-471E-3

Hi....I just picked up a Nivico SRP 471e-3 and love the looks and sound when it is holding speed. I too am having problems with mine holding speed. It is fluctuating quite a bit. After playing for a while it seems to settle down a bit, but not completely, and it requires constant checking. I also have a slight hum in mine when the stylus hits the vinyl....it is silent otherwise when the platter is spinning.
I see that Metalownz seems to be experiencing similar problems with Nivico. I love this machine. I have fallen in love with idler drive turntables. I have several Elac Miracord 50h and 50h ii tables. There is something about the dynamic sound that they produce that I really love. The Nivico, when I have it on speed with a nice cartridge in it, produces that sound.
I am not particularly savvy as far as electronics repair, but probably could handle minor repairs if I had to do so. Metalownz, if you are able to solve your speed problem please report back with the steps that you followed. I am really interested in how you are able to solve this problem. I have researched a bit and it seems to be a fairly common problem with this beautiful, somewhat rare, turntable.
 
Hi....I just picked up a Nivico SRP 471e-3 and love the looks and sound when it is holding speed. I too am having problems with mine holding speed. It is fluctuating quite a bit. After playing for a while it seems to settle down a bit, but not completely, and it requires constant checking. I also have a slight hum in mine when the stylus hits the vinyl....it is silent otherwise when the platter is spinning.
I see that Metalownz seems to be experiencing similar problems with Nivico. I love this machine. I have fallen in love with idler drive turntables. I have several Elac Miracord 50h and 50h ii tables. There is something about the dynamic sound that they produce that I really love. The Nivico, when I have it on speed with a nice cartridge in it, produces that sound.
I am not particularly savvy as far as electronics repair, but probably could handle minor repairs if I had to do so. Metalownz, if you are able to solve your speed problem please report back with the steps that you followed. I am really interested in how you are able to solve this problem. I have researched a bit and it seems to be a fairly common problem with this beautiful, somewhat rare, turntable.

I think the two capacitors are the reason for the speed issue. Once i change mine ill report back.
 
I had a feeling that might be the case. If you can show some pics of the process it would be most helpful to me. I am a neophyte as per repair and I need to decide whether or not I can handle the repair. Here are a couple of images of my 471e. Was also wondering if your table has a ground wire. I am getting a hum from my table only when the stylus hits the record and am trying to determine the cause. I am leaning towards motor vibration, but the rubber bushings look pretty good. Just want to elimate the need for a ground wire from the process if you do not have one either. Here's a couple of pics of my table.


nivico_b.jpg nivico_471a.jpg
 
I had a feeling that might be the case. If you can show some pics of the process it would be most helpful to me. I am a neophyte as per repair and I need to decide whether or not I can handle the repair. Here are a couple of images of my 471e. Was also wondering if your table has a ground wire. I am getting a hum from my table only when the stylus hits the record and am trying to determine the cause. I am leaning towards motor vibration, but the rubber bushings look pretty good. Just want to elimate the need for a ground wire from the process if you do not have one either. Here's a couple of pics of my table.


View attachment 746327 View attachment 746330

Mine has the RCA's changed when i got it. They did a good job because i get no hum whatsoever. So i can tell you he grounded the turntable through the RCA cords. Thats about all i know. But ill keep you posted about the Capacitors. In the other thread you posted in they give you a play by play on what caps to use. Here is my deck, all original.
 

Attachments

  • 20160520_032057~2.jpg
    20160520_032057~2.jpg
    68.8 KB · Views: 44
Update. Got the capacitor that controls speed changed and it holds speed longer than most DC motors with strobe lights. Ive listened to 5 albums on it and its perfect. So now its dead on. No more messing with the pitch knob every 5 minutes. 100% refurbed. Before it would slow down to 32.9 and stay there. Now its beautiful. Im enjoying the hell out of this table. The only place you can get the capacitor is in England.
 

Attachments

  • 20160618_233745.jpg
    20160618_233745.jpg
    62.6 KB · Views: 51
Update. Got the capacitor that controls speed changed and it holds speed longer than most DC motors with strobe lights. Ive listened to 5 albums on it and its perfect. So now its dead on. No more messing with the pitch knob every 5 minutes. 100% refurbed. Before it would slow down to 32.9 and stay there. Now its beautiful. Im enjoying the hell out of this table. The only place you can get the capacitor is in England.
That's great to hear.....can you send me the info on where to get the capcitors? I got one on order from Digi-Key (the .47uf one), but can't find a source for the other. I have to let mine warm up for 20 minutes before it will come close to holding speed. I also noticed that if I drop the needle on a record it slows the rpm down by .3. I didn't think that the needle drag would do this and am wondering about the motor now, but first things first, the capacitor change sounds promising. Please let me know where I can get it.
 
That's great to hear.....can you send me the info on where to get the capcitors? I got one on order from Digi-Key (the .47uf one), but can't find a source for the other. I have to let mine warm up for 20 minutes before it will come close to holding speed. I also noticed that if I drop the needle on a record it slows the rpm down by .3. I didn't think that the needle drag would do this and am wondering about the motor now, but first things first, the capacitor change sounds promising. Please let me know where I can get it.

You'll only have to change the one. The bigger one. Ill have to find out what the capacitor is called. My tech told me its not an easy capacitor to find in the USA. But i dont know how true that is. Next time i go in ill find out what kind it is. Im just very excited to finally be spinning this beauty. Im around 12 albums in now, and still havent touched the pitch control.
 
excellent....the bigger one is the one that I have not been able to find. if you could get me that info it would be wonderful. glad to hear that it worked for you. do you get any motor rumble or hum when you are playing vinyl?
 
excellent....the bigger one is the one that I have not been able to find. if you could get me that info it would be wonderful. glad to hear that it worked for you. do you get any motor rumble or hum when you are playing vinyl?

Yep thats the one that he got from the U.K. And that will solve your problem. Seems to be a common problem with that cap going out of spec but hey, the table is 50 years old right? Lol. I get no hum whatsoever. The motor is fairly quiet. You may have to replace the motor mounts in yours. I did that to mine also.
 
Yes,here is an old photo. :)View attachment 749862

I even have a spare head shell from my garage sale ventures.

I have a spare headshell for mine also. Trying to figure out which cartridge i want to use for the spare. Your base is nice. Looks different but pretty nonetheless. Its worth getting the capacitor for and to rebuild the motor grommets. It'll be one of my permanent tables for sure.
 
Let Mikey do it ! :p

Mine is OK for now, don't know for how much longer though......

Will get one from Ebay shortly, just don't know when I will get around to installing it. :idea:
 
Let Mikey do it ! :p

Mine is OK for now, don't know for how much longer though......

Will get one from Ebay shortly, just don't know when I will get around to installing it. :idea:

So Balifly, yours keeps speed? For how long before you have to mess with the pitch control?
 
I did not have any issue with the speed.

Just lucky with this one, so far.

BTW, the emblem on the right front of the base - JVC. :idea: :)

So its probably a set pitch then forget about it for a long while till it drifts. Im about 15 albums in and havent touched the speed knob since it came home.
 
Back
Top Bottom