• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

JVC QL-A7 with Grado Blue - good deal?

cubiclecrush

Well-Known Member
Pristine condition. Comes with a nearly new Grado Blue cartridge. Protractor-calibrated and ready to go. Can be demoed.

Asking $325.

Well reviewed by vinyl engine.

I had the JVC QL-Y7 and QL-Y5F on my short list, but this A7 just popped up on the radar...

...I'm not desperate for a new TT but have been looking for an upgrade to my Pioneer PL-512 and was hoping to find something with an auto-lift/return. The A7 has a photokinetic end-of-play mechanism. Sounds cool, but I know nothing about them.

Got thoughts?

In the sub-$500 range, is this one worth a demo?
 
Register to hide this ad
I don't have any experience with that TT, but heck, the cartridge sells for $120 so it's really $205 for the table, which from what I've read about those JVC's seems reasonable. Again, just my 2cent
 
Thanks for the input. I'm unfamiliar with the Grado Blue and often see these tables advertised with Shure, AT, or Denon carts instead.

I'm drawn to it, for sure.
 
Last edited:
The QLA-7 is a very good table. One of the cartridges I use on mine is a Grado Gold and it sounds very nice.

Price for table and new cart sounds reasonable to me.
 
Is it wrong for me to take my wife out to valentines dinner, and just "swing by" to check out a TT?

:)

If this table is still available on Friday, I might need to make a date!
 
But...I've been reading....and I know the internet never lies, but...

...I'm seeing comments like:
"Those rosewood mdf decks are horrible with feedback rejection"

I've seen more than one comment about the plinths on these requiring help.

Any experience with "feedback rejection" issues...
...what ARE feedback rejection issues, anyway? heh

I guess I'll have to tap on the plinth to see what I can hear....
 
Last edited:
^^ Good advice. Make sure the Quartz lock works and I'd say it's well worth it. Very good table for a couple of hundred.

I like them. See my sig . Depends how much you were set on getting a full auto.

If you can audition listen for this "horrible feedback" for yourself. Personally I think that comment is going too far, but their budget might be a lot bigger than mine.

Some people stuff them with a about 5 kilos of modelling clay/Plasticine .
 
Have never had any feedback issues with mine and I have owned it since 1978. BTW the plinth on a US made QLA-7 is made from a wood composite, covered with a black laminate veneer. Sides are 1 3/4" thick, top is about half that. I believe the Japan market versions had a rosewood type veneer. Check the tone arm as well, there is a rubber isolation behind the tonearm gimbel which often deteriorates causing the counterweight shaft to droop. In this condition the table is still fully usable.
 
Last edited:
I'm listening to it's big brother, the QL-Y66f, as I write this and I laugh everytime I read people talking about the plinths on these being resonant.
Perhaps those people have no clue as to how to properly set up the cartridge.
No problems here.
These JVC tables are wonderful.
While not a steal price wise, that QL-A7 is still a good deal on a very nice table.

Best Regards, Al. Wise
 
Check and make sure the 331/3 and 45 speeds are accurate and the quartz lock is operational.

Is there a preferred way of doing that?

I've only had belt and idler drives up to this point - both bought "blind" for under $100 - with the understanding that tinkering was necessary. I've not really had to inspect a working table before! The owners manual talks about the built-in stroboscope, and when the speed indicator appears stationary in the display window, then the speed is correct.

Can I trust that, or should I bring some type of strobe disc/light or other testing aid?
 
Is there a preferred way of doing that?

I've only had belt and idler drives up to this point - both bought "blind" for under $100 - with the understanding that tinkering was necessary. I've not really had to inspect a working table before! The owners manual talks about the built-in stroboscope, and when the speed indicator appears stationary in the display window, then the speed is correct.

Can I trust that, or should I bring some type of strobe disc/light or other testing aid?

The stroboscope and the quartz lock are generally very dependable.

The Digital Photo Tachometer is even more reliable. :thmbsp:
http://www.amazon.com/CyberTech-Dig...r=8-1&keywords=Digital+Laser+Photo+Tachometer
 
I probably need to get a digital tach anyway. My VoM tt has a noisy motor - probably going to need some help soon.

This Tach says:
"To take the measurement, apply a reflective mark (included in package) onto the target object, aim the laser beam at the mark, the RPM displays on the LCD screen."

I see some reflective tape for sale too. I assume that is whats included in the package. Would I just put some tape on this dudes platter and test it? This isn't a faux pas to tape another mans platter?
 
cubiclecrush - I think you can rely on the stroboscope without needing other specialized tools to decide on if this table merits purchase. Years ago when mine had a problem with the quartz lock, you could easily see that it was drifting from a set speed.
 
For the money they are very good turntables. Just look at the tone arms compared to the Marantz' that sell in the $300 range.

The 6350 sells in that range and has a junk plastic tonearm base. :thumbsdn:
I like it better than my 6300 as well.

The tone arm has unlimited adjustments you can make to it at well.

IMO these are well worth the $300, I've owned 3 and currently still own one. I regretted selling the 2 previous ones that I owned. Luckily I was able to pick up a MINT one with original box 3 head shells and 2 very nice carts. It won't be leaving anytime soon.

Go for it!

-R
 
Back
Top Bottom