• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

JVC R-X60 Receiver - Equalizer works only on one side

Just a follow up on R-X40 #2. I finally decided to get off my ass and see if I could get this thing fixed. I got tired of the lousy non temperature controlled soldering irons that I have been using. I took Echowar's advise and bought a Weller SP-25 temperature controlled soldering iron. Man, this thing solders nice! But let's see how long the tips last. The uncontrolled irons that I have seem to burn up the tips in short order. I also bought a cool de-soldering tool. Works a treat!

Anyway, I decide to re-flow all solder connections. Works perfect now. Now I have to clean her up and reassemble it.
 
Follow up #2... I cleaned this puppy up and put it back together. So, $17 dollars plus about $8 for the AC cord and caps, plus a couple of hours tinkering and she is singing like an angel. I played it through headphones for a couple of days (not continuous). The DC offset stayed below 10mV. I hooked it up to my Boston Acoustics A100 Series III speakers a while ago. Man, this thing sounds great! So much clean power for a 40 WPC receiver. I played it for a while at a fairly loud level and it barely got warm on top. Only thing that I don't like about this receiver is - NO REMOTE! The R-X80 had a wired remote available. That's a damn nice receiver too.
 
Great to hear that you managed to get it working well again! I should dig my r-x80 out soon and see if it still works.
 
Back
Top Bottom