• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

JVC Receiver powers up and comes out of protection, but I have 12 VDC backfeeding out of the RCA inputs.....

Keymaster

Active Member
I picked up a JVC RX-705V recently in a bundle of gear. Unfortunately, it was sold untested and everything worked except this receiver. It will power up, come out of protection in just a couple of seconds but that's where the good news ends. There are two things that stand out at first. With an antenna hooked up, you can get FM lock but you can only hear sound if you cut the volume all the way up. The second thing you notice is, the spectrum analyzer doesn't do anything. That makes sense, because if the audio was playing, you would see movement but because the sound is not audible at normal volume, there is no analyzer movement. I decided to hook up a tape deck to make sure it wasn't the tuner that was the issue. When I pushed play on the tape deck, the meters pegged out. This didn't make sense because I know the audio wasn't that loud on the tape. I disconnected the RCA's from the back of the tape deck and the meters normalized. So I decided to move the RCA's on the receiver to the CD input, but again, the meters pegged on the tape deck. This didn't make any sense at all and I had never seen this before. I began to wonder if the receiver was backfeeding into the tape deck. So I disconnected the RCA's from the tape deck but left them connected to the receiver. I got my volt meter out and I measured about 12.8 vdc on each side of the RCA cables. This, to me, indicates why I'm having issues with this receiver. If anyone knows what could cause this, I would appreciate it. I checked Hi Fi Engine for a schematic, but they only have one for the same model but it's from 87, where the model I have is from the early 90's. Thanks
 
Register to hide this ad
Does it have MAIN IN / PRE OUT jacks? If so separate them and use a difference source to test the amplifier section. The model from 1987 is the RX-750V. It is not the same.
 
Does it have MAIN IN / PRE OUT jacks? If so separate them and use a difference source to test the amplifier section. The model from 1987 is the RX-750V. It is not the same.
Unfortunately, no main in/pre out jacks. Something else I noticed last night was when I change from AM to FM to Tape and so on, I get a pop. Also, when I have it on FM, i can hear the music if I turn it up past halfway. It's low, but I can hear it. If I select Tape 2/monitor, I can still hear FM. Usually, unless you have an EQ on Tape 2, you would lose sound on FM or any other input when selecting Tape 2. So the fault is after the power stage, it's just a matter of where and what the problem is. I appreciate the input.
 
Digital switching IC is blown. Check them all. This thing may have taken a powerline hit.
I really hope that's not it, but without knowing the history of the unit, it very well could be that it got hit. I'm not sure how difficult these IC's are to source, but my guess is, they're probably not readily available. I appreciate your input, thank you.
 
bit of info here . https://audiokarma.org/forums/index.php?threads/input-crosstalk-on-jvc-rx-705v-receiver.1029037/
i realised i have the wrong manual . good old google must have thought i meant to type 750
Thanks. The friend that's helping me troubleshoot this actually responded to his post back on the 4th but I don't think he ever heard from the fella. My friend has the same unit and we thought we had it narrowed down to a zener diode, but after replacing it yesterday, there's no change.
 
its hard to try and assist without the correct schematics . am wondering if these were sold in the uk as there is a small chance i have a hard manual here but its a big hassle to check as the manuals aren't in any particular order . i rescued many many service manuals a good few years back from a repair shop . and have them in i think 5 large filing cabinets . i know there is some jvc ones amongst them .
 
I'm the one who scanned my service manual for the RX-750V. The phone number on front is my writing. It's funny how many places have this for download. I think I uploaded it here and at AK. Both reduced the resolution IIRC.
 
Back
Top Bottom