• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

jvc s600- interesting find

Dire McCain

Well-Known Member
Ran across a JVC JR S600 and a JVC CD S200 cassette deck. Interesting
equipment, apparently good stuff from the old days. But I'm not able to find out a lot about either one of them. Curious if anyone of the forum has any insight about these guys...

I'm jam up house-filled with stuff now so I'll probably do a craigslist. Any info you have would be helpful...
thanx
 
Register to hide this ad
Nice receiver of unconventional styling. I have some info on these at home and will post tonight (if I dont' forget!).
 
Yes, they do look a bit odd. Not especially inviting to me personally. Looks clumsy.

Nonetheless, if you remember to post some info I would appreciate it...
 
Here's what I've got:

JVCSR600.jpg


JVCcd200.jpg


TOTL receiver. The cassette deck matches the styling of the Rx, but JVC had better cassette decks that year. Their cassettes, most of which used a proprietary NR system rather than pay Dolby's license fee, were actuall pretty darn good.

This is the catalog that provided the scans.

JVCcatalogcover.jpg
 
that receiver is highly thought of by everyone that's heard it. there are a few JVC sleepers out there. if you haven't picked it up already and the price is right, do it! you can always flip later if it doesn't make the cut.

chris
 
Great allround receiver. 110 real watts; will drive difficult loads. Excellent tuner and good phono section with an on board genuine equaliser to boot! The 600 and its smaller brothers the 400 and 300 are great audio values.
 
There is a site out there with some information on these receivers (the whole series). I lost my old links in a hard-disc crash, but will try to find it again for you. {EDIT: I found the site I had in mind; see following post for it and some more links.}

I see plenty of the series in the wholesale market here, and while always intrigued, held off on getting any for a few years. Finally I took the plunge when I found that TOTL model in near-new cosmetic condition at a cheap price.

The unusual design of that series seems to polarize opinions: it doesn't appeal to a lot of people, while others love it. Possibly for that reason, prices for them have stayed lower than for many other brands/series of similar quality. They seem to be quite valued in Germany, but not so much elsewhere.

I consider this a "sleeper" receiver: one that really isn't bad at all, with plenty of strengths, but outside of most people's search-lists, probably because of the styling. Personally, I find the styling interesting/intriguing, even if it is a bit more "eighties" looking than "seventies" or "classic", so I like having one.

Reggaenaut described its characteristics well. Top of the line for that series/era, and possibly the best that JVC made. The sound is different from Sansui or Marantz or Pioneer (which are different from each other, too), but not necessarily inferior; which you like most will depend on your personal listening preferences. Try it out with different speakers; you'll get more out of it if you find well-matched speakers, but it seems able to drive almost anything (I wouldn't try it with "amp-killer" Infinities or the like, though).

Since getting the receiver, I'm now keeping my eyes open for that matching cassette deck. I've seen it only once or twice before; it seems pretty rare, in comparison with the receivers. However, being a cassette deck, and not a TOTL Nak, it shouldn't be too expensive. Its value seems to lie in its rarity as much as anything else, and the demand would probably be confined to people who have the receivers and want to match them. Since I don't have the cassette player, I can't comment on its sound quality.
 
Found It!

Here is the page I was thinking of above, with information about this series:
http://reviews.ebay.com/JVC-JR-S-qu...000001150315?ssPageName=BUYGD:CAT:-1:STORES:4


In addition, I found an informative thread about this receiver/series here, if you read German:
http://www.hifi-forum.de/viewthread-84-8187.html


Some links from that thread:

A nudie pic of the inside is here:
http://img28.imageshack.us/my.php?image=jvc60017ah.jpg


Klaus in Austria has to be one of the world’s greatest collectors of/experts on JVC audio:
http://www.sabinebendlin.de/tonbandwelt/big/115.htm



Here are the specs from that site. They look good!:

hier Daten aus dem Hi-Fi-Jahrbuch8 ,abgekürzt.
JVC- JR-S 600
Verstärkerteil:
Sinusleistung 2*120W an 8Ohm
Sinusleistung 2* 180W an 4Ohm
Klirrgrad 0,1%
Intermodulation 0,1%
Frequenzgang über alles 5-70 000Hz
Fremdspannungsabstand niederpegel. Eingänge 65dB
Fremdspannungsabstand hochpegel. Eingänge 85dB
Tunerteil:
Eingangsempfindlichkeit mono:26dB: 1,5microVolt
30dB:1,7microVolt
stereo: 38microVolt

Begrenzereinsatz. 1,3microVolt
Übertragungsbereich 30-15 000Hz
Signal-Rauschspannungsabstand bei Monobetrieb:66dB
bei Stereobetrieb 60dB
Klirrgrad: 0,25%
Übersprechdämpfung : 50dB
Pilottondämpfung: 65/60dB(19/38kHz)
Trennschärfe:80dB
ZF-Dämpfung: 100dB
Spiegelfrequenzdämpfung: 100dB
Gleichwellenselektion: 1,0dB
soweit einige wesentliche Daten.Hoffe damit ist Dir etwas geholfen.Gruß gera



Here is the online computer translation of specs, from Wikipedia (via Google search):

Technische Daten Technical Data
Verstärker Amplifiers
• Dauerleistung (bei Klirrfaktor) Continuous Performance (with THD)
o 8 Ohm: 2x 120 W 8 ohms: 2x 120 W
o 4 Ohm: 2x 180 W 4 ohm: 2x 180 W
• Dynamikleistung Dynamic performance
o 8 Ohm: 8 ohms:
o 4 Ohm: 4 ohm:
• Gesamtklirrfaktor: 0,1% THD: 0.1%
• Dämpfungsfaktor: Damping Factor:
• Frequenzgang: 5 - 70.000 Hz Response: 5 - 70,000 Hz
• Signalrauschabstand: 85 dB (Hochpegeleing.), 65 dB (Niederpegeleing.) Signal to Noise Ratio: 85 dB (Hochpegeleing.), 65 dB (Niederpegeleing.)
• Klangregelung: Sound system:
o Bass:
o Höhen: Treble:
• Loudness:
• Subsonic:
• Mute:
• Direct/Line-Straight: Direct / Straight Line:
• Stereokanaltrennung: Stereo channel separation:

Tuner Tuner
• Empfang: Reception:
• Frequenzen: Frequencies:
o UKW: FM:
o etc..
• Frequenzgang: 30 - 15.000 Hz Response: 30 - 15,000 Hz
• Eingangsmpfindlichkeit: 1,5 µV(Mono), 38 µV (Stereo) Eingangsmpfindlichkeit: 1.5 microvolts (mono), 38 microvolts (stereo)
• Klirrfaktor: 0,25% Distortion: 0.25%
• Signalrauschabstand: 66 dB (Mono), 60 dB (Stereo) Signal to Noise Ratio: 66 dB (mono), 60 dB (stereo)
• Kanaltrennung: Channel separation:
• Trennschärfe: 80 dB Selectivity: 80 dB
• Gleichwellenselektion: 1,0 dB Equal wave selection: 1.0 dB
• Nebenwellenselektion: Besides wave selection:
• Spiegelfrequenzdämpfung: 100 dB Image Rejection: 100 dB
• ZF-Dämpfung: 100 dB IF Rejection: 100 dB
• AM-Unterdrückung: AM-suppression:
• Ausgangspegel: Output Level:
 
Appropos of nothing ('cept I found the scan looking for something else), two models from the next model year...

scan-2.jpg
 
JVC is not a brand I'd usually give much thought to but I bought the JR-301 at 60 watts and afterf the tech went through it I found the sound is not as refined as I am used to even with my Sonys and Philips receivers but I can not seem to get rid of it. I has b*lls in excess of what my other 60 watts amps have and the tuner is very sensitive and has a steep quieting slope. Your 600 was a good find as I think the x01 and x00 series were their high points in receiver design. I suspect the thumbwheel of the x01 series violated a Marantz patent and why it did not live another generation.
 
Jvc jr-s 600

I got one o those those. Stunning power to drive my kef reference model three with some QED XT-400 (looks like a hose more than a speaker cable i tell u!)
EQ from SAE is brilliant.

I messed it up last week: the speaker cables touched each others :tears:, blew up a couple fuses, and despite changing those, no sound :no: :tears:

My father is law is a Russian engineer who used to build valve amp, and would need the service manual to tell me what to do to make it work again.

Please anyone with a JVC JR-S 600 service manual? Badly needed. :thmbsp:
 
Back
Top Bottom