• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

JVC turntable

JarredCrowe

AK's drunk troublemaker
Recently a turntable came up for sale locally that i'm quite interested in,
a JVC QL-Y5F for $200. In pictures it appears in excellent shape, it has a shure M91 and he is willimg to demonstrate it. However I'm not so crazy about the price and he seems pretty set on it. Does that sound reasonable for a turntable of it's type? What would be a fair offer? Should I pitch a lower offer now and hope he bites or try and wait for him to lower it on his own?

Any help is appreciated, thanks
 
Register to hide this ad
Its a nice table. I have one collecting dust. If all functions work, dustcover is good. I wouldnt be afraid of 100.00. With a cart, im not sure.

it is a great table though.
 
$200 is on the money. You get to check it out and ask about issues...if everything works and the dustcover is in nice shape it's a fair deal. Not a screaming deal, but fair. You could always ask if he has any records to throw in. ;)
 
You guys are on point, thank you! I know it's supposed to be a pretty nice table but I wasn't sure what they really go for and 4dryhme that's my kind of thinking! lol
Even though I have a bunch more never hurts.
 
I had one in 1984 with a Nagota cartridge, which was a killer combination, IMO.
Didn't make it out of 1984 though.....I had a break-in.....and never saw it again.
Replaced it with an AR The Turntable in December of 1984.
Which I still own to this day..........................

Steve
 
They seem to be pretty well liked. JVC/Victor seem to have been very capable of building nice components but never bothered with hype so there stuff kinda flys under the radar. Unless of course it's VCRs.

I think i'm gonna offer him $175 and hope he bites.
 
I bought one not knowing the reputation of this particular model, but since already having a QL-F6 (currently set-up in my garage) I took it as part of a complete package. I was really after the Time Windows since they rarely appear in this area, but was glad to get the JVC. It has a Ortofon MC-30 cart, which I`m told has a high trade-in value if the stylus ever goes. I tested the TT and it performed solid and flawlessly and might be the best in my stable.

Sadly, I just discovered the tonearm adjustable weight device had broken off along with the lock down clip, so I`ll need to repair these in the future. I had it in the original box, but somehow it must have experienced a drop or something. Just check the one you`re looking at thoroughly and if it plays w/o any issues, it`s worth two bills IMO.
 
I didn't have time to get it today so I'm gonna keep my fingers crossed that he still has it and pick it up tomorrow. when I do I'll be sure to give a full report...with pictures.
 
Have one, and Love it! It is a very nice TT that you can operate semiauto too. Have had many TT´s while I had this in my setup but this allways wins and stays. Oh and I payed 84 USdollars for mine = Very cheap.
 
Good deal. :]
To you and all owners past or present are there any things I should pay special attention to when I examine it?
 
The JVC QL series of turntables are great. Very underrated, and sonically amazing, especially with the right cart.

And the one you're looking at is beautiful.

$200.00 is not a bad price, I've seen them sell for much more.

Cheers
 
My mainstay turntable for decades was a JVC QL (their 5/50 model). I used a Coral MC cart and the combination was incredible. I still have the turntable, but the cartridge lost its tip and I've never found that exact replacement.
 
Thanks guys, I appreciate it. I've discovered he hasnt sold it yet and I'm trying to play the waiting game to see if he'll repost it lower. When I did talk to him he was quite savvy to the turntable and also has some other interesting things for sale. I wouldn't be shocked to find out it he is an AKer.
 
Back
Top Bottom