• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

JVC XL-v161 CD player makes vocals sound far away and reverbed

EAAY2004

New Member
hi there. have a JVC XL-v161 CD player that I haven't used for a while because normally I preferred Vinyl's or tapes and it wasn't till recently I started buying more CD's. I went in to give it a listen the other day, and now the vocals of a song sound so far away and reverbed, like im hearing them from an auditorium a mile away. the rest of the track, percussion, guitar, etc sounds Ok, if a bit "off," in terms of tone and sound. Just very odd.
Current setup is
the player: JVC XL-v161
1/4 to 3.5mm adapter best buy (works on my tape deck so i dont think its the issue)
HX cloud Alpha headset (Works on all my players and devices perfectly fine, so dont think its the issue)

its a very barebones player so I dont think its a setting I could've messed up. There are a fair few CD units I could get used right now, but I'm of the mind if I can fix it I'd rather fix it than buy something new and make more waste.
 
Register to hide this ad
Sounds like something is out of phase, signal wise. Try a regular RCA patch cable to RCA line inputs as a test.
 
Wasn't sure what a RCA line input was to be honest. connected it to my PC's pink mic input via a RCA to 3.5 adapter, and recorded the input via audacity. although its very boomish and loud, you can hear the vocals perfectly ok.
Not sure what that could mean.
 
Testing the CDP with a audio receiver or integrated amp, if you have access to one, and an RCA patch cable, will tell you if it‘s the player or your wiring. PC Mic input probably isn’t a line level input, which isn’t ideal.
 
well after a bit of testing, the CD player still sounds screwy (In fact its super staticy and awful, and the vocals are distant) in the receiver. not only that, so does my cassette deck, so the receivers also messed up. NOT ONLY THAT, my tape deck washes out the vocals on most of my tapes (the two i tested on it were perfect for it seems like.) so im back to square 1 on everything. darn.
 
Back
Top Bottom