• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

K-75-K vs K-84-K Tweeters ... I have one of each in my Forte II's - help?

tlarwa

Vinyl Lover
I just gutted my new-to-me Forte II's so I can internally brace them (Moray James' style) and low and behold, they have two different tweeters! One is the K-75-K, with the phenolic diaphragm, and the other is a K-84-K with what appears to be a Ti diaphragm. The horns look the same, but the magnet is much larger (3 1/4" vs 2 1/4") on the K-75-K. What should I do? Get another 75 or another 84? I was getting ready to order Bob's Ti diaphragms, by the way. Advice, please??
Tom
 
Register to hide this ad
That k84 sounds like it is the same as a k74 which is stock for a Heresy ll and other models.

I installed k75's in my Tangent-400's because of the larger magnet. I thought the k75 was more detailed and highs were drawn out longer. I also understand that a k-75 and the k79 are the same. I heard that klipsch will give the same part a new part number when installed in some different models.

Curious as why they are different, maybe the previous owner thought the k84 was an upgrade because of the ti diaphragm, but the diaphragm should work with either magnet.

Is the cutout for the tweeter the same size in both cabinets? I had to open the hole on the T-400's.

Matt
 
Curious as why they are different, maybe the previous owner thought the k84 was an upgrade because of the ti diaphragm, but the diaphragm should work with either magnet.

Is the cutout for the tweeter the same size in both cabinets? I had to open the hole on the T-400's.

Matt

The cutout is the same on both speakers. Turns out the diaphragm isn't Ti in the K-84, the dome just looks different than the phenolic in the K-75. No idea what the difference in domes is. The big difference is the magnet, which is much larger on the K-75. So I'm searching for another K-75, or at least a magnet from one. New Ti diaphragms are on their way, so I don't really care about the difference between them.
 
Back
Top Bottom