• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

K55 replacement diaphragm

DLStryker

Active Member
I am pretty sure the K55V and K55M had different diaphragms and were not interchangeable. But, on The Speaker Exchange, I see the following. How is this possible?

Klipsch K55X, K55V, K-55M Diaphragm #127127. Brand New Genuine Factory Klipsch K-55-X Diaphragm. Will also work for K-55-V and K-55-M.

1742359813107.png
 
Last edited:
Register to hide this ad
They are different manufactures for starters… but…

I believe Crites had a post in the past about modifying the Atlas V diaphragm to fit the Electro-Voice M. Not sure if it was k forums or their site.
 
I am pretty sure the K55V and K55M had different diaphragms and were not interchangeable. But, on The Speaker Exchange, I see the following. How is this possible?

Klipsch K55X, K55V, K-55M Diaphragm #127127. Brand New Genuine Factory Klipsch K-55-X Diaphragm. Will also work for K-55-V and K-55-M.

View attachment 3458280
Ask Speaker Exchange. I’ve wondered about this too!
 
My K55V’s are working but are over 50 years old. Would they benefit by changing out the diaphragms? Or maybe
A-55G/2’s?
 
My K55V’s are working but are over 50 years old. Would they benefit by changing out the diaphragms? Or maybe
A-55G/2’s?
Most people who change out their old diaphragms say it was worth it. The A-55G's, mixed opinions, and an expensive experiment.
 
I replace the diaphragms in my K-55V's with the Crites sourcing. The ones you pictured from the Speaker exchange look exactly like the ones I got from Crites. Yes it was worth it. The old ones were toasty and one had a weird sticky substance on it. The sound opened up a bit and now I'm confident that they will be good to go for another 40 years. I think of them like a classic car. There is some maintenance required to keep them in top shape. At 43 years old, the Cornwalls will outlive me and my grandchildren.
 
I replace the diaphragms in my K-55V's with the Crites sourcing. The ones you pictured from the Speaker exchange look exactly like the ones I got from Crites. Yes it was worth it. The old ones were toasty and one had a weird sticky substance on it. The sound opened up a bit and now I'm confident that they will be good to go for another 40 years. I think of them like a classic car. There is some maintenance required to keep them in top shape. At 43 years old, the Cornwalls will outlive me and my grandchildren.
I ordered new diaphragms for the K55’s in my k-horns from Crites today. The drivers are 53 years old. Nothing lasts forever. Will comment later whether I notice a change or not.
 
I ordered new diaphragms for the K55’s in my k-horns from Crites today. The drivers are 53 years old. Nothing lasts forever. Will comment later whether I notice a change or not.
I forgot to mention when I took the drivers off the horns, there were NO gaskets. Fortunately I had added the gaskets from Ctites. I encourage you to do the same.
 
I forgot to mention when I took the drivers off the horns, there were NO gaskets. Fortunately I had added the gaskets from Ctites. I encourage you to do the same.
Thanks for the heads up but I replaced the gaskets a couple of years ago. Again from Crites.
 
Any update on the new K-55 diaphragm's?
Received and installed. My first impressions are that the new diaphragms sound more relaxed and smoother. Everything inside the K55 was clean and orderly and nothing about the old diaphragms looked stressed. Will have more observations after a more extended listening period.
 
I wish I could find Bob Crites details on fitting the K55V diaphragm into the K55M. I know he said don't it.... but I am a pretty skilled DIY'er. I have a fairly well set up garage full of tools. I don't have a milling machine. but do have TIG welders, die grinders, etc. Not sure exactly what tools would be needed, but I think I could make due.
 
Maybe email Crites. There was a documented tutorial, but they took it down. Maybe they still have it for the asking?
 
Maybe email Crites. There was a documented tutorial, but they took it down. Maybe they still have it for the asking?
I will do that. Thank you for the suggestion!

Has Michael Crites had some recent health issues? It seems like I read that. I emailed them last week to order some crossover parts and have not heard back.

I'm looking for new/upgraded inductors for my KG4's.
 
I replace the diaphragms in my K-55V's with the Crites sourcing. The ones you pictured from the Speaker exchange look exactly like the ones I got from Crites. Yes it was worth it. The old ones were toasty and one had a weird sticky substance on it. The sound opened up a bit and now I'm confident that they will be good to go for another 40 years. I think of them like a classic car. There is some maintenance required to keep them in top shape. At 43 years old, the Cornwalls will outlive me and my grandchildren.
I purchased an old pair of PD-5VH off eBay recently. One had a sticky goo on diaphragm. The phenolic spacer was glued to diaphragm. Also had difficult time separating the K55.
I thought that was someone’s attempt at dampening the driver. Since these are push pin drivers I thought this was a recent modification. If Allied applied it during manufacture it was over 40 years ago. The goo was still very tacky.
 
Back
Top Bottom