• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

KA-801 Ka-701...... etc power switch

PabloTincho

Super Member
I have a Ka-801 with my tech for a full restoration and the power switch in broken at the beginning of the tip.
I am not able to find any original substitutes from ebay or other places.
Can you guys recommend another type toggle power switch that will fit in the old one ?

If not I was thinking about a hafler type of power switch on the side

any help


index.php



Just found this on ebay
https://www.ebay.com/itm/1539724264...cDtBj+/3athVj879PKFoeV71rzho|tkp:BFBM6ofp7qRh

would that work ?
 
Last edited:
Register to hide this ad
If it fits, it might work for the tuner and cassette decks as they don't draw 5 amps but that amp might, depends on if the power goes through the switch and the amperage of that power surge. Gotta check mounting dimensions, too.
 
The switch at EBay is not realy the same switch as used in the Kenwood KA 501 up to 801. But you can use it. you have to bend it a little bit and make a new whole for the screw. After doing so it works fine. I often use this Power switch in the Kenwood High- speed amplifiers
 
I saw that switch as well. I need 2 of them. One for my KT 615 tuner and one for my KX 2060 cassette deck. That switch is close but I may actually take my switches apart and make a new piece of metal the same as the broken one. Then the only problem I will have is the knob it's self seeing I don't have the ones for mine. That switch is interesting though. TV5 is the same as the one in my tuner. I didn't look at the one in my amp because it's not broken

Pics of the one in my KT 615 tuner

IMG_0005.JPG IMG_0011.JPGIMG_0004.JPG
 
Last edited:
Do you still have the toggle aluminum "paddle"?. What i do to these ( they all break), is fabricate a new steel toggle plate, that i solder on the old. I wish i took pictures of what i do but, they are more solid then new, and repair is not visible.
 
Do you still have the toggle aluminum "paddle"?. What i do to these ( they all break), is fabricate a new steel toggle plate, that i solder on the old. I wish i took pictures of what i do but, they are more solid then new, and repair is not visible.

No I don't have the paddel (Kenwood calls it a knob) I thought about soldering a new tip onto the switch but if I can make a completely new piece and install it into the switch I think that would be a better fix. I am real good at taking these switches apart and I really think I can fabricate that metal piece. I have been a mechanic for years so making something like that is not new to me. I just need the "paddels"
 
Is it possible to replace all the toggles switches with something like this ?

they dont look that bad, and those original switches are not going to last that long



s-l400.jpg


7101P3YZQE.jpg

s-l500.jpg
 
Is it possible to replace all the toggles switches with something like this ?

they dont look that bad, and those original switches are not going to last that long

.

The original switches will last a long time if you use a better quality steel when you repair them. The problem is the original metal is cheap flimsy grade metal. I am sure if you where to use the same thickness stainless steel it would last your lifetime and then some
 
The original switches will last a long time if you use a better quality steel when you repair them. The problem is the original metal is cheap flimsy grade metal. I am sure if you where to use the same thickness stainless steel it would last your lifetime and then some
... Or maybe, the steel was too brittle, (hardened), and did not tolerate flexing, and broke right-off?...
I used to have a lathe here in my garage, and made a couple of paddles myself. Really easy if you think about it; turn an aluminum bar into the right diameter, cut that lil decorative groove, then, on a belt sander, make that round bar, taper on both sides. To mate it with the switch "prong", just drill a small hole in the paddle and fill with silicone. I'll atach pictures later.
I used to look for Kennys with the paddles missing (lower prices), and make the paddles myself!
 
Back
Top Bottom