• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

KA 9100 restoration.

What can I say, after looking for a nice amp to pair with a set of JBL L65a's I'm restoring I fell in love with the looks, power and build up of the Kenwood ka 9100. So the search began. I found one, not working, 1 channel dead. The owner assured me it was the only the speaker relay that needed replacement. He had already started the repair by cutting all the wires to the power board (!) and taking it out. Little did i know then. Well I decided to chase my vintage dream and bought the device. I honestly have never seen a device that filthy and scented with nicotine in all my life. If I ever wanted to put this indoors, it needed a complete cleaning. Long story short, after cleaning, I recapped the power supply board as wel as both amplifier boards, put in a new relay and reassembled the device. Needless to say that soldering all the wires to the power supply board was not a walk in the park, but i managed. The thing came to life! Except there was no sound. The relay did not close at first, after 20 seconds it did, and the right channel sang, but not the left one. I hooked up an other amp as power amp and that worked.
Not a cracle to hear in the pot meters or switches, and all functions working. If you consider that i cleaned the entire amp with heavy duty kitchen degreaser and rinsed it with hot water, that was a small miracle to me. After rinsing I dried it with a hairdryer, used deoxit on the pots and switches and WD40 to remove any water and provide lubrication. (I made sure the power transformers did nog get wet and had removed the beloved VU meters)
So I build myself an audio tracer probe to try to figure out what was wrong. Stupidly i used the wrong pen a as a probe, this pen had a plastic point with a metallic finish, never taught of the fact that metallic paint conducts electricity to. So i accidentally touched two leads of Qe11 and now both channels are dead, stupid me.

Now I am desperately looking for a guide that can help me rebuild both power amp boards and replacing the TA-100WA by a set of Sanken STD03 darlingtons, I've been searching these forums for quite a while but cannot find an explanation that I understand to the full.

Thank you in advance,
Kind regards from Belgium.
 
Register to hide this ad
Back
Top Bottom