• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Karlson 12K Value

MCM_Fan

AK Subscriber
There is a pair of Karlson 12K speakers available locally (to me) with an asking price of $150. The cabinets are genuine Karlsons (have the original stickers on the back). The cabinets are in pretty decent shape. I realize the drivers will determine the value, but did not remove the back of the cabinet to see what they were. Just looking in through the front, they looked "age appropriate". There was a 12" woofer in each cabinet with a paper whizzer cone. Also, each had a smaller tweeter mounted down low near the bottom of the cabinet firing upward at about a 45 degree angle.

This is the first time I've ever seen any Karlson speakers in the flesh. If the drivers are original, what would be a fair price. Is $150 reasonable, or should I offer $100? Is it worth going back with a screwdriver to remove the back and see exactly what's inside? If so, what should I be looking for? Any drivers that are especially valuable or sweet sounding?

Thanks in advance. I don't really NEED anymore classic speakers, buy have to admit these are pretty cool looking. If they are also good sounding, I may get serious.
 
Register to hide this ad
Went back and checked them out over the weekend. The 12" drivers are Electro Voice Wolverines. One looked to be in good shape. The 12" paper cone of the other had been punctured - looked like someone put a screwdriver through it. The cabinets are in excellent, but not mint condition. I passed. I have too many other projects in the queue and can use the $150 on surrounds and capacitors for several other pairs of speakers that are awaiting restoration.
 
those the EV wolverines aren't worth much id be inclined to got back and pick up the Karlsons.They have a unique design and with a little modification to the front baffle you could slide a pair of Full range 15 inchers in there.When ever I see these Karlson Cabs I get giddy...Many have been found loaded with 1950's Stephen Tru-sonic Full rangers{I collect}/Altec co-axials or big 15 inch Jensens/Universitys triaxes....

hunter
 
Do you really think the Karlson cabinets are worth the $150 asking price? Like I said, I have several other projects waiting in the queue, but the unique looking Karlson cabinets would go nicely with some of my other MCM pieces.
 
like I said.im a fan of 15 " fullranger or co-/Tri axials.I can source those and have some in my collection,what is hard to find is good solid larger volume Solid wood speaker cabinets.Especially with a good veneer on them.Cuting out the baffle to suit larger drivers is a cake walk.The Karlsons have a unique look and design to them..lots were loaded with vintage Klipsch speakers as well and they do sound good in those cabinets.
Id have bought them already as you don't run across them often,then pulled the wolverines listed them for sale and started fitting in a pair Stephens FR 150's ive got sitting here waiting for a home..:}

hunter
 
you should be able to get 100.00 for a pair of EV wolverines..pull them and list them.When they sell you got the Karlsons for 50 bucks..no brainer

good luck
 
upload_2016-2-16_18-22-17.jpegWhat id do is modifie the front baffle to take a pair of JBL compression horns and install my Stephens in the lower baffle.
What I like about the Karlsons is the main driver{woofer or FR er} is pointed up on a slight angle bringing sound into the room at ear height in a seated position..thats how id arrange them anyhow
 
I dig the looks of those things, but they have to have proper 1950s grille cloth with some gold thread mixed in.
 
Back
Top Bottom