• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Karlson with University 312

RooF16

New Member
Ok guys picked up a nice pair of K cabinets with mint University 312 diffaxials. Before I got them I did quite a bit of research and found out the K's can be quite polarizing...even saw the the Klipsch 312/Karlson waveform which was surprising. Got them anyway because they have a lot of fans too. Hooked them up to my Sherwood S5500 and I have to say I was not impressed. Thought it might be the amp so since then I have tried three more from Pioneer 1080 to low power Sherwood ss..still sounds sort of muddy. Anybody got any suggestions? Freddi?
 

Attachments

  • karlson.jpg
    karlson.jpg
    45.6 KB · Views: 80
Register to hide this ad
The obvious suggestion would be to recap them. Beyond that I haven't a clue as I have never heard them. Good luck.

cubdog
 
First generation 312 or Series 200? First generation might not be a good match with Karlsons because of the horn tweeter; the second version, with the Sphericon, should be better.

Happy trails,
Larry B.
 
Sphericon...think these cabinets are factory based on construction and the fact they have original RCA connectors
 
My understanding is that the best drivers for Karlsons have a low Qts; I suspect (??) that's the problem with the 312 in a K enclosure... I had a similar experience with an EV 15TRXB (fairly high Qts coax) in a K-15. Something like an Altec Duplex is reputed to be considerably better.
 
I really want a set of those just because they look so cool. Almost don't even care what they sound like, which is probably not the right way to go about speaker selection.
 
Yea they are really cool looking...but I'll keep working with them to improve sound...probably a few more things I can try. Still hoping Freddy the Karlson guru has some words of wisdom.
 

Attachments

  • Cash with Karlson.jpg
    Cash with Karlson.jpg
    6.8 KB · Views: 36
looks like he did over at AA :-)

I (still) think the K's are the wrong enclosure for that driver... have you tried 'em on OBs?
 
No but I have been researching OBs...the guru Freddyi suggested the same thing. Thought you guys would be interested in the inside of the speaker...so here you go.
 

Attachments

  • University 200 002.jpg
    University 200 002.jpg
    83.5 KB · Views: 70
  • University 200 001.jpg
    University 200 001.jpg
    52.4 KB · Views: 62
Thought you guys would be interested in the inside of the speaker...so here you go.

Wow! I love the name plate on the driver. You don't see that kind of manufacturing anymore :)

Let us know how the recap goes - what are you planning on putting in there?
 
It's a funny looking (nonstandard?) Karlson, to me, at any rate...

Here's a comparator: Admittedly, this isn't a 'real' K-12; it's a Pioneer (Fukuin) Karlson :-) but I think it's pretty true to the Real Thing...


P3190018 by mhardy6647, on Flickr

P3190019 by mhardy6647, on Flickr
 
Last edited:
Even so, the back chamber needs to be vented into the front chamber for Karlson goodness, right? I thought that was how the resonator got the punchy bass.
 
Yea, I noticed the same thing...not sure what the history of the slotted port is like a lot of K's you see. Anybody?
 
Ok here's what is going on for those interested...according to Freddiy (on another high efficiency speaker asylum). These appear to be factory kit versions of the K-12. The plans for the K-12 had porting as an optional step...so obviously the builder chose not to. Anyway I took the backs off for a listen and the sound improved markedly...tighter bass and crisper highs. So it is apparent to me for the best sound, at least with the University's, they need to be ported. Adding ports at this point looks pretty tricky, plus I really don't like hacking up vintage audio stuff. Thinking about removing/saving original backs and building some with a port in the back...not sure if that would produce the desired effect or not...any audio engineers out there or anybody hazard a guess? Couple better pictures...they really are in remarkable shape for the age.
 

Attachments

  • Karlson 005.jpg
    Karlson 005.jpg
    63.1 KB · Views: 16
  • Karlson 006 (2).jpg
    Karlson 006 (2).jpg
    55.1 KB · Views: 17
  • Karlson 007.jpg
    Karlson 007.jpg
    49.3 KB · Views: 16
I was gonna suggest exactly what you propose - fortunately I read to the end of your post before startin' my fingers up! :-P

Make a new back and cut a port in that. Put nice binding posts on while you are at it, and gasket it, too. You might want to try an aperiodic vent; you can make your own a la Dynaco (Scanspeak?) - some hardware cloth and fiberglass batting - or I think that you can still buy the "Vario-Vents", too...


100% reversible :-)
 
Funny I thought the same thing...especially since my favorite speaker of all the ones I've had/tried is the Dynaco A-25
 
Back
Top Bottom