• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Kathy's Song - Has there ever been a decent cover?

mousepotato

Active Member
I have liked this song since the first time I heard it four decades ago, but I've never liked the vocals and, especially, Paul Simon's guitar playing; to me, the recording sounds like it was performed by buskers (which I know is kind of a stupid thing to say given that he and Art Garfunkel were, in fact, at the time the song was written, buskers in London; on the other hand, they did display virtuosity in the other performances on that album). Art Garfunkel has since treated the song more kindly, but I've only heard live performances by Mr. Garfunkel. I have searched the internet now and again for years for a good studio recording (by anyone) of this song without success. It seems a shame because I have always felt that this song has enormous untapped potential.
 
Register to hide this ad
I might have stated my question better; viz., not just a "decent" cover, but a truly outstanding one. Even though Eva Cassidy does avoid the mistakes Paul Simon made, her performance is uninspired. And Eric Johnson, well, he does what all the others do (including Eva Cassidy) when they perform the song; namely, they change the arrangement. There was nothing wrong with Paul Simon's arrangement; it was just carelessly executed. It would be nice if someone replicated exactly his arrangement, but did it with the virtuosity that Paul Simon's performance lacked. For instance, I've heard two studio recordings of Art Garfunkel performing All I Know. Both are very similar, but one is utterly mediocre, and the other is the reason we all know his performance of the song. With Kathy's Song, I feel like I'm still waiting for the better of the two.
 
I try to appreciate cover versions for what they are rather be too critical of what they are not. I love pretty much everything I have ever heard from Eva Cassidy including Kathy's Song but that's just me. She will always be one of my favorite singers. I just wish she could have been with us longer.
 
Back
Top Bottom