• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Keep my dual or get this AR XA

Matt_b

New Member
I have a dual 1215 and I am going to buy an AR XA tomorrow.

I have a pickering xvf15 on the dual and the guy is offering an audio technica or empire catridge.

Would any of those catridges be good on the AR XA?

and last but not least, the AR XA should be a better table correct?
 
Register to hide this ad
Well, I started as a Dual guy myself, and love my duals. But I just switched over to an AR XA that I'm restoring. I do think the AR is a more quiet table than my two Dual tables and seems to match or edge them out. I have a 1225 and a 704. Both have new RCA plugs, new ground, and oiled.

I'm hoping once I bring the AR back up to spec, with a Denon mc cart that it will really pull away from my duals.

Folks seem to like Shure carts on the AR's. I had a Shure M97xE on mine from one of my Duals just to give it a listen.
 
My brother started with a 1019 and moved up to the AR a couple years later, back when this stuff was new.
 
The AR gives a certain satisfaction that is hard to put into words. Part of it is beautiful industrial design -humble, simple, quality- and a large part is the glorious musicality of the table.
 
I believe the belt-drive AR XA would be a definite upgrade from the idler-drive Dual 1215, but I would keep both tables! I am the original owner of an AR Turntable that I bought new back in the '80-'s when they were reintroduced on the market and mine has had a Shure V15 mk.V mounted on it since day one. IMHO, this Shure cartridge is an ideal match for the AR arm and sounds wonderful on it. The AR arm is medocre at best, but the high-compliance Shure seems to complement its design and really sings on it. It is a very good combination!

If I was to buy a new cartridge for it today, with the Shure V15 now out of production, I would probably go with an Audio-Technica AT150MLX as an excellent substitute. If my money was tight, my choices would then be the AT440MLa or the Shure M97xE instead.

But I would definitely keep the Dual! :D
 
I've got the Shure M97xE on mine. It came with a Sumiko Oyster.
I agree with thunderroad, keep the Dual. One can never have too many turntables.
 
I'm hoping once I bring the AR back up to spec, with a Denon mc cart that it will really pull away from my duals.
Which Denon are you thinking of using? The "higher" compliance (if one can call any of them that) models at 14x10-6 may work, but the arm is going to resonate like hell with any of the 5x10-6 models. Effective mass is too low for them.

The AR arm is medocre at best, but the high-compliance Shure seems to complement its design and really sings on it. It is a very good combination!
My mind boggles at the idea that any arm that works well with a Shure V15 cartridge could be considered "mediocre."
 
Last edited:
Thanks. I was thinking a Denon DL-110.
I took a quick look on Needledoctor, but unfortunately they don't list the compliance for that model. The next one up (DL-160) says 14x10-6, but it would probably be a good idea to find out for sure about the 110 before buying one.
 
Last edited:
I was going to pair it with a Cambride Audio 640P. This is what I found on it compliance wise.

8x10-6 cm/dyne (100Hz)
 
Thanks for the input, back to the drawing board. Was also considering a 2m red.
 
Last edited:
Popular cartridges on the XA during its run were the Shure V15 series (25-35x10-6) and the ADC XLMs (a whooping 65x10-6 for the I, 30-50x10-6 for later models). Today's MM favorite is the Shure M97XE at 25x10-6. You probably want to stay in that general range. I have no idea if anyone makes an MC like that.
 
Thanks. I have a M97XE that I like a lot. Just wanted to try something different with my AR. Oh well, it is what it is. I appreciate your help.

EDIT: I was considering an AT7V that is 35 by 10.6.
 
Well I bought it, its a basket case.

Came with an empire 2000e/II that looks practically brand new and came with a brand new stylus.

and it has a SUPEX AL-2 tone arm lifter :D


The motor appears to need work and the bearing in the tone arm pivot seems to be locked. it also came with an AT safety raiser, whats the deal on this?

Im going to post up another thread about it with pictures.
 
Back
Top Bottom