• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Keep or Refinish First Gen ADS L620’s or ???

Seenovision

New Member
Hi,

New to the forum and having a ton of fun here already. Thanks for having me.

I have had the following setup for the past decade or so:

ADS L620’s
Denon PMA-520
Pioneer PL-600

I’m considering some upgrades and mainly looking at new speakers first. I enjoy my ADS L620’s but I’ve always been turned off by the vinyl veneer (mine are the first generation with the cloth grills). I don’t think it’s worth refinishing them with wood veneers, but tell me if I’m wrong. Are they worth it?

Where should I go from here? Been loving my buddies Heresy IV’s, but not sure I’m ready for that kind of investment.

Happy to hear any and all thoughts.

Cheers,

Ken
 
Register to hide this ad
Welcome to the forum.
There's some excellent posts on AK about DIY veneer. Definitely worth doing.
I'd also replace the 10uf 100V electrolytic capacitor in the crossover. The square plastic box caps are fine.
ADS L620's are excellent speakers.
 
Welcome to the forum.
There's some excellent posts on AK about DIY veneer. Definitely worth doing.
I'd also replace the 10uf 100V electrolytic capacitor in the crossover. The square plastic box caps are fine.
ADS L620's are excellent speakers.
Great. I did buy them refurbished so I expect the caps have been replaced, but great shout!
 
CSA is a model in the Clarity brand of caps. They make a number of different models. The CSA is a great, natural-sounding cap ideal for crossovers.

If you really like the ads, slap a coat of wood on them. If you think something could sound better, what improvements in sound would you want? We can recommend ways to drain you pockets while elevating your system sound. Budget?
 
The CSA is one of the more budget friendly Clarity caps. If ones tweeter is capable of resolving the differences between caps, and I believe the ADS tweeters are, they are a worthwhile investment. There are other good caps available, but I think the CSA provide a great bang for the buck.
 
If you're really wanting an upgrade, in sound as well as looks, why not get a pair of L-710's. They sound, and look much better than the L610's. (I've owned both.)
 
CSA is a model in the Clarity brand of caps. They make a number of different models. The CSA is a great, natural-sounding cap ideal for crossovers.

If you really like the ads, slap a coat of wood on them. If you think something could sound better, what improvements in sound would you want? We can recommend ways to drain you pockets while elevating your system sound. Budget?
Not sure on the budget. All I know is that I liked my buddy's Heresy IV's and might be willing to spend ~$1000 give or take for the right upgrade.
 
All of the larger ADS I've heard are worth while, problem is depending on your location it may take a while for a set to come up for sale. That can be said for any worthy speaker available for a decent price. At least recap the 620s in the mean time.
 
If you're really wanting an upgrade, in sound as well as looks, why not get a pair of L-710's. They sound, and look much better than the L610's. (I've owned both.)
I have the opportunity to buy a pair of L-880/2’s (with real wood veneer, mind you) for $600. Not sure if they’ve ever been serviced, but cosmetically they look ok. A worthwhile upgrade akin to the L-710’s or pass?
 
Back
Top Bottom