• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

KEF 104.2 question

I just love these blasts from the past.

And to add to the thread, slightly off topic, I built myself a pair of R107 lookalikes using original pods and xovers, woodwork as close to the original as could be assessed from diagrams and pics off the forums but with SP1014 woofers. Tried different ones - all KEF B200 from that era - and the SP1014 sounded best.

Sound is simply glorious. Seems I'm a bandpass guy!

Me too considering a recap but am also sceptical about the tweeters. They do sound a bit bright - brighter than the T52s I've grown fond of. Wonder if it's the ferrofluid or the caps drying out.

Whoever has a pair of R104/2, R107, R105/3 or similar, I urge you to listen to Jacques Loussier records in the "plays back" or "Bach Book" series. Or the Bolero. It's a revelation to be able to feel (not only listen) to individual bass notes instead of the "normal" one-note-muddy-and-boomy-bass.
 
Yes, DO replace the donuts!! They are part of the suspension, the cone will sag a bit without them. More importantly, they are part of the seal of the woofer chamber. Without the donut, the chamber is not totally airtight.

The bass may sound a little louder without them, but it will not be crisp and articulate as it should be. The 104/2 starts rolling off at 50Hz, but what is there should tight and super-quick.

I've restored about 5 pairs of these now, and awhile back I posted a tutorial of sorts on disassembly. Do a search and see if you can find it. If not, let me know.

I am the proud owner of one of these restoration efforts by BrassTeacher. I was so inspired by the sound that I acquired a second pair of 104.2's. Just another thought on this thread (old that it may be) these speakers respond well to amplifier power. I'm currently running both sets of mine with mono block amps (Parasound JC1, bi-amp'd with Parasound Integrated on one pair). Additionally I have gradually replaced powercords with Audioquest products - Tornados and Hurricanes - purchased on the used market. The result is very impressive. Bass, mid and treble are very very fast. This speaker design really stands the test of time.
 
Back
Top Bottom