• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

KEF 104/2 Speaker Blown?

LozVegas

New Member
I’ve got some KEF 104/2s and I pulled a speaker out from the wall and the wire snagged and the red and black on the back of the speaker touched. No sound out of that speaker now.

I swapped the working speaker over on the amp and it works fine so the channels haven’t blown on the amp…

What is up please knowledgeable people??

I’m have another spare set of 104/2s, for emergency repairs like this! - would swapping a crossover board maybe fix?

Are the drivers ok du think?

Thanks for any advice!
 
Register to hide this ad
Logically you would think the amp would fail and not the speaker. Maybe the arcing sent a rush of current that caused a solder connection to fail. I had something similar happen to my side speakers used with my HT system. I re-soldered all the crossover connections and everything returned to normal. I had replaced all the caps to or three years previously. I had a rear speaker where every time there was a loud bass sound effect the woofers would stop working and then slowly return to working. So I took the back off and re-soldered the connections to the woofer terminals and to the crossover, but the same thing kept happening. It turned out to be a loose connection of the coil in series with the two woofers.
 
Ya, sounds like it was pulled hard enough to pull a connection loose.
You have to open it up and take a look, it should be obvious.
 
I'd start with swapping the crossover.

I 'killed' one of mine (104/2) once due to mis-installing a replacement tube in my Schiit Saga. Had the Saga off, but failed to turn off the amp. Heard a loud pop from one speaker and when I turned everything back on (and correctly installed the tube), had no sound from that speaker. Like you, I checked the amp/preamp and they were fine.

Fortunately, I already had the Falcon replacement kit (just hadn't gotten around to installing yet). Replaced the caps and all was well. (And it's still working great!)
 
Back
Top Bottom