• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Kef 104/2, to KUBE or not to KUBE?

I've the gamut on this era kef reference speakers and agree that there is noticeable hf and mf rolloff. If you are using the later kube optional models and are running a single amp your going to hear it's deficiencies.

With that being said the kube also brings the low end to life on these speakers. Run them in a horizontal biamp configuration with the kube on the lf circuit only and you'll really hear your speakers sing. Have run this configuration primarily with an integrated + power amp for the lf and I cannot see myself moving away any time soon. Some component matching comes in to play here but it's totally worth the effort.

Good tip.

Too bad mine are early models with single binding posts. Advantage is I have butyl woofer surrounds, so only the center donuts rot out.
 
I have a pair of the 104.2 that have been completely rebuild . Spiders , VC , cones and surrounds and the bass response is tight and deep .All so have the Kube and there is a bit of difference with the kube but that's it . They sound great with my Sansui 9090db , 125 wpc but they sound ever better with Sansui Ba / Ca 3000 245wpc. Lots of power to drive them , they can be driven with 9090 . Just fine but they do love power .
 
Last edited:
Hello, I just put my Kube 100 up for sale on eBay. it was used with Kef Reference 104/2's. I did fill out the bottom octave nicely and I didn't notice any disturbance in the midrange/treble. I am selling only because I just added 2 subwoofers and feel that I no longer need the Kube. I also plan on bi-amping my 104/2's.
 
I just plugged asacam's Kube 100 into my system, and it's definitely fun.

My speakers are re-capped (Falcon) single binding post 104/2s with ferrofluid serviced and donuts replaced. REW said they were responding to spec down to 55Hz without the Kube, and with it they run down to 25Hz. Haven't listened enough to figure out a down side, although less is definitely more when twisting the Contour knob.

I can't speak to bi-amping, but will sing the praises of 3e's TPA3251 class D amp with these speakers: the response, clarity, and detail are delightful.
 
@canuckaudiog - I have just gotten hold of a Kube specifically for the 104.2's and am keen to try it out.

Particularly keen to hear if you upgraded your kube by replacing the opamps?

Does anyone have any inside pics of this unit, I'd be keen to see - my kube is still in transit.....
 
@canuckaudiog - I have just gotten hold of a Kube specifically for the 104.2's and am keen to try it out.

Particularly keen to hear if you upgraded your kube by replacing the opamps?

Does anyone have any inside pics of this unit, I'd be keen to see - my kube is still in transit.....
I'm curious to hear your impressions. I use a sub which definetly fills out the bottom end for me
 
bumping this old thread... I'm a Kube believer. Went from an in-room drop off around 50hz down to a pretty solid response to 25hz. Very impressive. And I didn't notice any issues with the mids with it on either like some have. This is on 104/2's.
 
Back
Top Bottom