• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

KEF 104 speaker questions

I found a Rotel RB-980BX. Will that fit. It has a 100W and 4 ohm signal so i think it can work.
I think that's an excellent choice! With 120w into 8 ohms, it probably provides somewhere around 200w into 4 ohms. And, since you already have a good preamp, you're all set.

Be sure to report back on how you like it.
 
Deal made regarding the Rotel. I'm going to get it tomorrow.

Furthermore, because the preamp only has one output that will now be used by Rotel, I can no longer listen to a CD or stream service, I bought a Network Streamer Acrylic S50 Pro+ for not too much money to see if I can get it connected in the set.

Now the speakers have to be controlled by two different units: the Rotel and the Acrylic.

What is wisdom?
Removing wiring from the power amplifier and inserting it from the streamer or buying a switch to be placed in the speaker wiring to switch between the units.

Let me know, Thanks
 
Yes, an RCA switch box will be required.

From what I understand, you have 3 sources. 1-Turntable. 2-CD. 3-Streamer. Correct so far?

How many inputs does your tube preamp have? If it has at least 2, then plug the phono pre into one, and the CD into another. Plug the output of the preamp into one of the inputs of the switchbox. Since the streamer has a built in preamp, it will be directly connected to one of the other switchbox inputs. Connect the switch box output to the Rotel.

I realize that this is a round about way to do things, but I can't think of any other way.
 
Hello Rick, unfortunately the pre amp has one input and that one is an prepaired MM RIAA output.
The set up now is from TT out to the pre amp, Out from preamp to the naim and there from to the speakers.
Yes i have three sources wich i want to use and that is possible with the naim but i want the rotel to spin but as i said it has one output so also the pre amp has.
 
Last edited:
I was under the assumption that you had both a regular, separate preamp, and a phono preamp. Since you don't, you could use the Naim as a preamp since it has preamp outputs.

The Naim has both an amp, and a preamp built in. Since you're going to be using a separate amp, you'll still need to feed everything through a preamp. Since the Naim gives you that option, that's what I would do. So, you'd leave everything the way it is, but feed the Naim preamp outputs to the Rotel (with the speaker wires connected to the Rotel, of course).

If you also want to hook up the streamer, you will need an RCA switch box. In that case, connect the Naim preamp outputs to one of the switch box inputs. Then connect the streamer to another switchbox input, with the output going to the Rotel. The reason being that the streamer has a built in preamp, and you don't want to plug that preamp output into yet another preamp (in the Naim).

Volume control for the streamer would be thru your smartphone.

I hope that makes sense.
 
I’ts a solution for sure but I’m loosing my tube pre amp and that is something i would like to stay.
 
You are helping me a lot Rick, otherwise I would’ve not come this far.
The Opus RIAA is the tube pre amp.
A bit afraid of sound loss? What do you think.
 
I got banana connectors on the end of my cables, so I'd power down the amp, switch cables, and power up the new pair.
But tho I liked them a lot, the KEFs were 12 years ago.

Got 3 pair I flip around on now - a pair of Von Schweikert VR-4s for now, a pair of custom JBL 3 ways I configged 2 years ago,
and a stack of 2 pair of JBL L212 satellites that are just plain fun.

But ... summer is coming and I'm a Triumph TR8 sports car fan - so I'll be outdoors more, doing shows and road rides shortly ...
View attachment 3728000
I love seeing this TR-8 again and again. It is not only about my favorite model Triumph, but it is wearing my favorite-ist color -- British Racing Green -- as well.

ps - @ least it appears to be BRG color to my sight/senses.
 
Is that a switch box with a volume control (i.e a passive preamp)? If so, it would probably work.
I’ts a solution for sure but I’m loosing my tube pre amp and that is something i would like to stay.
The phono tube preamp would stay in place, and connections to the Naim (including the CD) would be exactly as you have it now. The only difference would be that the output of the Naim would be from it's pre outs to the Rotel. You're simply bypassing the amp portion of the Naim, and using the Rotel instead. Since you don't have a switch box yet, that's how I would connect it today (once you get the Rotel).

When you do get a switchbox, you could try it both ways and see which sounds best. I'm betting that one way will sound better than other, as different preamps do make a difference in sound.

I used a passive preamp for many years, and thought it sounded good. Last year I bought a China made tube preamp (sadly, no longer available) and was blown away at how much better it sounded.
 
Last edited:
Rotel works!! I have a better sound that’s for shure. And I’m happy with it.
What’s in the way off perfection are TT’s. I have 5 of them but one of all is acceptable, and not to forget the quality of the vinyl!
I have to finish my Thorens 125 because that one has to do it. And buy myself audio test records to test my investment.
Anyway I’m off the streets as they say over here and can’t fight with my wife on the couch watching tv progams i don’t like……

To be continued

Thanks and have a wonderful Eastern Weekend.

Frans
 
Last edited:
You are absolutely right. It was all the time a twist in the back of my head if this combi 8 and 4 ohm’s would be a good thing but couldn’t place it.
So a quest for a 100w 4 ohm amp would be an idea. Any ideas? The Forte 3 is out of my budget I’m afraid.

With my 104/2 I have used the Perreaux 2150b, Sumo Andromeda, and Carver M1.0t, all with great results. I can't speak for market prices in the Netherlands but I can get any of those amplifiers here in the USA between $500 and $1000. I currently have a Proton D1200 with them ($700-900 depending on condition). Excellent sound, and better transient response than the others due to the crazy Proton DPD power supply.

Try out some different preamps while you're in there. I've used Adcom GFP-555 and GFP-565 with mine and they were very happy. I'm running the Carver C-1 right now and it's not as good a pairing with the 104/2 as the Adcoms.
 
Hai Boba, great thanks for your response. I will keep them by my notes.
I just bought a Rotel RB980BX.
The sound is getting better is my idea.
Further more the Naim went back to the living room so I kept the high end build phono pre amp and the Rotel and I bought a Acrylic S50 pro for streaming with gives a better base.
Tomorrow a friend of me, an audio nerd , is coming with two mikes and REW software to measure speaker respons in spectrum. Whatever that means.
I will let you know and you all if it’s been interesting.
 
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom