• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

kef 105/2

orsen

Jukebox Hero
there is pair of 105/2 near me
i have energy veritas 2.3 and kef 104/2 that i use regular
how will the 105's fit in
from reading the 105/2 is very different sounding from the 104/2
i have had celestions and have numerous set of mission speakers so i am aware of the brit sound.
how do the 105/2 compare to modern speakers?
do i really want these?
 
Register to hide this ad
If they are near, go have a listen. IMO the 104/2 are more dynamic and upfront, like being closer to the stage, with more impact but less extended bass. Having sold Kef I found people usually had a strong preference for one or the other, rarely did they like both equally. I found the 104/2 a lot of fun but I prefer the more traditional Kef sound of my 107.

Let us know what you think.
 
You will like them.
A few words of warning.
Once every couple years or yearly, give the woofers a 1/3 spin in the cabinet.
Second, while you have the woofer out, have a look at the damping foam. Most of the time, they just stuffed it in the enclosure.
Take it out, chop it into the right size pieces and line the box neatly.
Finally, look at the crossover board and if it has not been done, and you have the particular model of crossover, trace the input to the high pass capacitors right on the positive input. Remove them and put a jumper in their place. Finally put a 1 kohm 10 watt resistor between plus and minus.
Do that, and you will get a speaker that will kick your 104/2's in the ass. provided you like the old British sound.
A word too, If you run into a pair of 105.4's get them, do the mods and have your 105.2's get their ass kicked.
Best regards
 
I have the 105.1s and the 104/2. I personally like the 105 more. I have recapped the 105s. They do everything right, they really are special. They are the only speakers I own that I'll never part with. They just did it right. I even prefer them to the 107s that I used to own. The 12" woofer just sounds good.

Dan
 
You will like them.
A few words of warning.
Once every couple years or yearly, give the woofers a 1/3 spin in the cabinet.
Second, while you have the woofer out, have a look at the damping foam. Most of the time, they just stuffed it in the enclosure.
Take it out, chop it into the right size pieces and line the box neatly.
Finally, look at the crossover board and if it has not been done, and you have the particular model of crossover, trace the input to the high pass capacitors right on the positive input. Remove them and put a jumper in their place. Finally put a 1 kohm 10 watt resistor between plus and minus.
Do that, and you will get a speaker that will kick your 104/2's in the ass. provided you like the old British sound.
A word too, If you run into a pair of 105.4's get them, do the mods and have your 105.2's get their ass kicked.
Best regards


Hi Nite1922
Your tip for improvement on the 105's has intrigued me , I have the 105/4's ( and 104/2's)
I might have to try your advice.
 

Attachments

  • IMG_4200.JPG
    IMG_4200.JPG
    42.8 KB · Views: 70
I have the 105.1s and the 104/2. I personally like the 105 more. I have recapped the 105s. They do everything right, they really are special. They are the only speakers I own that I'll never part with. They just did it right. I even prefer them to the 107s that I used to own. The 12" woofer just sounds good.

Dan


thats exactly what i say about my 104/2, they will never leave this house
but this weekend i get to hear them compared to the 105/2
i bought em :)
wont get to play until the weekend tho
 
well i couldn't resist
i hooked em up
they replaced the energy veritas
being able to "aim" them is a major plus
the bass is better, "truer" than the 104/2
the floors vibrate
listening to Deep Purple the mule
a long drum solo that i really like for demo speakers
i would call them flatter than 104/2 but deeper
this is gonna be a fun week
the veritas may end up replacing the mission 770 for tv duty
looks like i may have a brit fetish
maybe leave the missions
find a spot for the very old warfdales and have a spot of tea :D
 
Hi Nite1922
Your tip for improvement on the 105's has intrigued me , I have the 105/4's ( and 104/2's)
I might have to try your advice.
Hey, Andyrlb
If you would like to do the mod to the 105.4's PM me.
The 105.4's are a special animal. There are 3 stages of mods that can be done,all are non-destructive and reversible
The first is, of course, the input high pass removal, and the repacking of the cabinet. The second requires some glue and a 1x 4 or two you get a buddy with a table saw to rip into 1 x 1 strips) this is the most labour intensive mod, but worth it. If you are going to do this one, best to do it before cutting up the foam, just makes your life easier, but it can be done after as well. Ever heard a Mordaunt-Short Signifer 2 and the punch of the bass? This mod gives the punch of the Mordaunt-Shorts, but doesn't get right in your face. Keeps the mid of the hall seat soundstage that is the old Kef sound.
Finally, if you want the full monty, modify the head to activate the power warnings to the LED like the 105.2, just a few resistors and some solder.
Best regards
 
I will pm you as soon as I have the timber ( I work in construction) .

Cheers
Andy




Hey, Andyrlb
If you would like to do the mod to the 105.4's PM me.
The 105.4's are a special animal. There are 3 stages of mods that can be done,all are non-destructive and reversible
The first is, of course, the input high pass removal, and the repacking of the cabinet. The second requires some glue and a 1x 4 or two you get a buddy with a table saw to rip into 1 x 1 strips) this is the most labour intensive mod, but worth it. If you are going to do this one, best to do it before cutting up the foam, just makes your life easier, but it can be done after as well. Ever heard a Mordaunt-Short Signifer 2 and the punch of the bass? This mod gives the punch of the Mordaunt-Shorts, but doesn't get right in your face. Keeps the mid of the hall seat soundstage that is the old Kef sound.
Finally, if you want the full monty, modify the head to activate the power warnings to the LED like the 105.2, just a few resistors and some solder.
Best regards
 
I will pm you as soon as I have the timber ( I work in construction) .

Cheers
Andy
No problem, Andyrlb. At your own time.
I found the original paper containing the measurements for the wood braces, which is remarkable, considering i had this mod done 30 years ago.
I have a friend that had Magnepans, and bought a pair of 105.4, said he preferred the mags.
I asked if I could borrow his 105.4's for a couple weeks. He obliged.
When he got them back, the Magnepans disappeared.
No lie, but that was 30 years ago as well.
Just a wee word of warning, the mod loves power.
Best regards
 
No problem, Andyrlb. At your own time.
I found the original paper containing the measurements for the wood braces, which is remarkable, considering i had this mod done 30 years ago.
I have a friend that had Magnepans, and bought a pair of 105.4, said he preferred the mags.
I asked if I could borrow his 105.4's for a couple weeks. He obliged.
When he got them back, the Magnepans disappeared.
No lie, but that was 30 years ago as well.
Just a wee word of warning, the mod loves power.
Best regards
Hi Nite1922, I recently aquired a set of Kef 105.2 speakers and have been reading about some of the upgrades you discussed on this site. I have not opened them up yet to see what it looks like inside. All drivers work and the cabinets are in good condition. I would appreciate any information from you about what capacitors to replace the excisting ones with in case mine are original. Serial no. 5285 speakers. I would replace caps first and then after a while do some of the mods like you wrote about. I think these speakers sound great but if they can sound even better I am up for the task. Thanks for mentioning the upgrades you have done that have made a significant improvement. Any info will be greatly appreciated, Ben
 
You will like them.
A few words of warning.
Once every couple years or yearly, give the woofers a 1/3 spin in the cabinet.
Second, while you have the woofer out, have a look at the damping foam. Most of the time, they just stuffed it in the enclosure.
Take it out, chop it into the right size pieces and line the box neatly.
Finally, look at the crossover board and if it has not been done, and you have the particular model of crossover, trace the input to the high pass capacitors right on the positive input. Remove them and put a jumper in their place. Finally put a 1 kohm 10 watt resistor between plus and minus.
Do that, and you will get a speaker that will kick your 104/2's in the ass. provided you like the old British sound.
A word too, If you run into a pair of 105.4's get them, do the mods and have your 105.2's get their ass kicked.
Best regards
 
KEF 105.4 Newbie here so excuse me if I get something wrong. I have a mint pair I got several years ago and hooked them up and MEH. I have been searching for the info on mods, I think this may be above my ability, I have seen some mods for the xover but not clear enough for me. any help would be appreciated
 
KEF 105.4 Newbie here so excuse me if I get something wrong. I have a mint pair I got several years ago and hooked them up and MEH. I have been searching for the info on mods, I think this may be above my ability, I have seen some mods for the xover but not clear enough for me. any help would be appreciated

If your 105/4s are anything like all the other Kef’s I’ve had (104aB, 104/2, 105, and 103/2s) then they need a good high current amp to bring them to life. Adcom, Yamaha M series, NAD C350, Kenwood Supreme, etc are all examples of high current amps that should drive them well.

What are you using?
 
KEF 105.4 Newbie here so excuse me if I get something wrong. I have a mint pair I got several years ago and hooked them up and MEH. I have been searching for the info on mods, I think this may be above my ability, I have seen some mods for the xover but not clear enough for me. any help would be appreciated

Yeah, I agree, Meh. Let’s start a PM so I can take those underperformers off your hands ASAP! :idea: :angel::beerchug:
 
Back
Top Bottom