• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

KEF 107 Kube: is this a first gen?

k1creeker

Active Member
hi all,
A recent impulse buy made me the new owner of a pair of KEF 107s. luckily, the Kube is included. However, I noticed it's different than most Kube pics I've seen for the 107. This unit has Hard wired RCA leads for the amp/pre-amp connections, and the frequency knob markings are 1,2,3,4 instead of frequency numbers. I'm assuming this is an early Kube.

Can anyone confirm?

I should mention that I was lead to these speakers after all I read about them here. So thanks to the AK members!
 

Attachments

  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    85.3 KB · Views: 31
Last edited:
Register to hide this ad
First-- congratulations and good luck with your KEF 107s.
Can't answer your Kube question but someone will chime in soon.
What electronics do you plan on using? These big boys can handle some serious power.
If all is good inside these should be the last speakers you'll need for a long while.
Happy listening.
Jimmy
 
Hi Jimmy,
Thanks for the reply! I'll be powering the 107s with a Mcintosh pre/pro (mx-120) and a Conrad Johnson MF2250 (125w into 8ohm and about 200 into 4ohm) CJ doesn't publish 4 ohm figures. Most of my listening is at moderate to low levels so I'll try out the CJ and see how it works before considering more power.

The pair have had recent woofer surround service but the t33's are likely untouched. I plan to look into replacing the ferro fluid in short order. I'll be excited to get them into the system and see if they live up to the high praise I've read. Thanks!
 
I think I found my answer over in the Official KEF 107 owners thread. I posted a pic of the front below.
 

Attachments

  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    60.5 KB · Views: 20
Yup, I sold them when they came out and I have our store's ex demo pair. It is an early set with captive leads on the Kube. The pairs we delivered later had the RCA outs on the Kube. If nothing else we got to sell a couple of extra pairs of high margin cables as upgrades!
 
Back
Top Bottom