• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

KEF Ls-50

Ftaylor

New Member
Question, I have yamaha ns1000 and infinity kappa 6 speakers. Do the smaller
"expensive new speakers " like the KEF ls-50"s sound as good or better?
I like what I have . Has technology in speakers improved to the point that a
tiny speaker out-preforms an older larger model? Sound volume , bass , can't
be as good or can it? Amp is either 100 or 300 wpc.
 
Register to hide this ad
The sonic performance of the LS50 is superb, of course the bass output is less than many speakers with much larger bass drivers, that is to be expected. If you want the big bad bass then either add one or preferably two bass units or choose some different speakers. It's that simple.
 
First of all, if you like what you have then be satisfied.

I have a pair of vintage Yamaha NS-1, Elac UB5 and Monitor Audio Bronze 2 bookshelf/stand speakers sat in front of me at the moment. Despite being happy with the sound of the NS-1's, I was even happier after recapping them, but now realise that they aren't as capable in some areas as the ELAC and MA. I'm used to the laid back and easy sound of the vintage speakers so the cleaner, more forward and clinical sound of the modern speakers is a difference that I am slowly adjusting to. Is one sound better than the other, well yes and no. The soundstage and clarity of the ELAC and MA is certainly than the Yamahas but for extended periods of listening then I think the Yamahas may be a better choice. That opinion may change over time of course.

There are also modern speakers (e.g. Wharfedale Denton Anniversary) that are meant to harken back to the "old sound". I have not heard these speakers, but online reviews use such words as "polite" and "forgiving". Some modern speakers are less forgiving than others of a poor upstream component or source.

About bass. Some small, modern speakers seem give an impression of bass rather than actually pushing a lot of air to create "real" bass. Others seemingly produce a euphoric, out of body experience for some listeners - here I am thinking of the OTT "where is the sub-woofer" reviews of the UB5. For real bass some folks are going to swear by the use of a competent small speaker coupled with a separate sub-woofer.

Will a tiny modern speaker outperform a larger, older model ?

Too many variables for a definitive answer.

At the end of the day nothing can beat the use of your Mark I Mod 0 ears to be the judge of what sounds good to you. Hi-Fi is all about smoke, mirrors and subjectivity so hit the local dealers, or order some speakers online with free/cheap returns and have a listen.
 
I don't know if the LS50's will sound any better, but they'll definitely sound "quite good" and take up much less space...and be reliable for years to come. I've had mine for nearly a year now and really like them, especially being a "KEF guy." They are really fast, clear, spacious...brass and cymbals sound exceptionally realistic on them...they have enough "punch" for rock music, yet play classical with finesse...they can just do it all. But of course they do not have extreme bass. Add a few good subs and you're golden. And I have yet to hear any recording sound "bad" on them...great recordings sound great, and mediocre ones still sound good.

I'm currently in a dilemma of keeping the LS50's or Quad ESL 57's...not an easy choice. Plan B is to try to scrounge up enough other stuff to sell to keep them both! So we'll see how it goes, but even if I do end up selling the LS50's now, I'll likely look into getting another pair down the road...they would be on a short list of "small speaker" contenders...my current list would be the LS50's, Scansonic MB-1, Harbeth, and ATC.
 
I've been mulling this same thing for a year or two now. I currently have very large vintage speakers that have been fully restored (AR9s) and produce a prodigious amount of low end, however the environment that I have them in doesn't quite seem to do them justice - the room just isn't as large as they were designed to be used in.

So I have considered the LS-50s since they are so highly regarded, and I even went and auditioned a pair at the local hifi shop, but the price of entry on a pair of them plus an additional sub (or subs?) and potential need for amplification has held me back. I have no idea what to expect from such a dramatic change in design philosophy between massive full-range floorstanders and bookshelves supplemented with subs.

I can say that from the brief demo that I had with the LS50s they were everything that people praise them for - excellent sound stage and upper end clarity, likely superior to the aging tweeters in my AR9s. If only I could arrange some sort of no-risk trial of a pair of LS50s and subs... :idea:
 
LS50s have bass, but not the chest thump kind. In room responses for LS50s can get down into the 40s. For most music they are quite satisfying, but it depends on what you like to listen to.
 
For just a little more money you can get yourself a set of the KEF R300. Basically the same driver as the LS50 but has an extra 6.5" bass driver, so they should integrate with a sub better.
 
I appreciate all the responses to my original question . My sonic taste is toward the heavier aspects of tone. I like accuracy with a
little "meat ". My kappa 6's with a marantz 1070 and ns1000's with an aragon amp sound fine to me. However like everyone , I am always
listening for something better. Better is subjective and I hate it when I spend considerably more money and end up liking old stuff better!
 
Back
Top Bottom