• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

KEF LS50 vs Focal 726 vs Monitor Audio Silver 100 speakers

jervz

Member
Hi everyone,

I’m new at this forum and current looking for a speakers for my vintage stereo with 110W/channel for a 430 sqft. living area. Currently, I‘ve shortlisted KEF LS50 ($900), Focal 726 ($1399) and MA Silver 100 ( $1100). I’ve demo the speakers separately with different amplifiers, turntables and room treatment, so please note playing field are not the same. My reference records were Roxy Music - Avalon and Dire Strait - Brothers in arm. The integrated amplifiers used for the speakers are the following, Sansui 9090 (KEF LS50), Atoll IN 100SE (Focal 726) and Marantz Pearl (MA Silver 100).

My initial impression on limited listening, MA Silver 100 overall sounds good (highs, mids & bass), Focal 726 is very clear at mid-range (vocals) but missing highs I’m looking, and KEF LS50 is very good at highs, mids but lacks the bass. I’m not sure if MA Silver 100 is really good than KEF LS50, since the equipment I’ve tried with MA 100 is better that the equipment I’ve used for KEF LS50.

I’d like to know what do you think on KEF LS50 and MA Silver 100? Which one did you or would choose?

Thanks in advance for your comments.
 
Register to hide this ad
Another one I'd throw into the mix would be the Ascend Acoustic Sierra 2. I own a pair, and love them. Ascend has B stock available, and from what I've read, you'd be hard pressed to find the flaw on them.

Do a google search for KEF LS50 vs Ascend Sierra 2.
 
Not trying to muddy the waters but if you like the LS50 and think there is not enough bass, have you considered getting a sub woofer later on?
 
The LS50 will be very accurate in the highs and mids, until the bass rolls off. In other words, for the frequencies they do well, you won't find many with this much accuracy. The cabinets have no resonance to them, like others I've heard and felt. I'm using them at my work desk with a small subwoofer beneath the desk, which is a perfect setup for this application. As I sometimes do audio work, I needed something reliable to listen on.
 
Just a thought. I live in 398sqft and run “old box” floor standers and old large BS’s. If your planning on using stands with BS speakers modern floor standers will take up no more room.
 
Back
Top Bottom