• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

KEF T33 reassembly question

GearHead454

Still Lost
Going to do the ferrofluid change in my KEF 104/2 as soon as the fluid gets here. I am trying to make sure I have everything I need for this small project. This thread
http://audiokarma.org/forums/index.php?threads/kef-104-2-restoration-and-crossover-recap.613028/
http://audiokarma.org/forums/index.php?threads/kef-104-2-restoration-and-crossover-recap.613028/
has some great info but I could not find what kind of glue is used to attach the diaphragm back to the frame. Any suggestions are appreciated.
 
Register to hide this ad
The material you see in post #10 of that thread is two sided tape,not glue. Work around easy,easy with an Exacto knife.
I've been able to reassemble them using the same tape. Pay attention to the small dots so the parts line up.
Also, watch tools by that magnet. Easy job---take your time.
Good luck!
 
Great info Dobieguy, thanks. If the existing two sided tape can't be saved or looks questionable what is the preferred replacement tape? I see the dots for alignment now that you pointed them out. I will be careful with metal objects near the magnet, again great heads up. I will try to do as much as possible with plastic tools (i.e. scraper) in that area.
 
There is a 10 minute video on Youtube that is good also. I'm not tech savoy enough to post a link.
 
Last edited:
Hey, I have opened one tweeter up and the tape does not look like I will be able to reuse it. See photos. I would appreciate any suggestions of what to reassemble the tweeter with instead of existing stuff that's not in good shape. I have some options here including new two sided tape, rubber cement, and other adhesives. Thanks

20160630_193048.jpg 20160630_193051.jpg
 
Done and done, yeah. Tight seal all around with contact cement (used sparingly), much better than the old dorked up tape would have provided. Hopefully no ill affects long term. Nice to have them playing instead of being giant bookends. Caps on the way and new doughnuts waiting to be installed.

20160630_213807.jpg 20160630_213802.jpg20160630_220526.jpg
 

Attachments

  • 20160630_213727.jpg
    20160630_213727.jpg
    120.2 KB · Views: 10
Nice work! The tweeters will already make a substantial difference. The donuts, I found, improved the bass response and the capacitors restored the balance of the speaker.

They're gonna sound great after.
 
Back
Top Bottom